My first RTA :(

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Some chavvy moped guy waiting to turn right into a side road as I was heading down the main ride at around 18mph.

There was about 6 meters I reckon, on a wet road with light rain.

He turns in, his turning circle brings him even closer to me, I have no where to go. I veer off to one side but end up smashing into him. I employed a rather nice shoulder barge technique which meant he got knocked down with his metal piece of crap, and I ended up upright.

My leg is cut up a bit, but other than that myself and my bike were fine.

The bit that amused me?

Me: WTF was that, why did you turn across in front of me
Him: Because it's a road you tw4t.

Nice. Thanks. Good one.

So anyway, be careful out there.

Before that I had been enjoying a rather lovely cycle home, and for some reason, I was calm after it too. I will remain calm and enjoy my cycle tomorrow morning, fingers crossed that he thinks a bit more before doing that again, and I hope his moped is scratched and buggered too.

Comments

• Good survival skills! There may be some kind of logic to moped man's reasoning...but absolutely no sense.... :o
  • nich
    Well, I can only assume he thought he could make the gap.

After he pulled up he was stationary for a couple of seconds, he looked at me, then he turned in.

Certainly glad he wasn't driving a car otherwise it would have a hurt a fair bit more.

He also had a rather large coat on which probably took some of the impact :)
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I don't understand, you tried to overtake a bike that was waiting to turn right? Why?
    A biking runner :)
  • Hrun wrote:
    I don't understand, you tried to overtake a bike that was waiting to turn right? Why?

Hard to visualize, but I think the moped rider was coming from the opposite direction, and the OP tried to avoid the collision by swinging left from the primary position.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    Ah, that makes more sense, sorry. So he pulled across the front of you :(

Glad you're okayish.
    A biking runner :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Excellent shoulder barge. Top skills.

I was almost on the end of a SMIDSY this evening, when a driver pulled into a garage while I was alongside. I pulled in, too, to have a word. I was very impressed by the fact that I calmly pointed out what she had done. In fairness, she was deeply apologetic. (She was also extremely easy on the eye.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    nich wrote:
    Me: WTF was that, why did you turn across in front of me
    Him: Because it's a road you tw4t.

LOL, brilliant. Love it! :lol:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nich
    Hrun wrote:

No no :)

Bike was oncoming traffic. He turned right, into a side road across me :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Glad you're more or less OK. I've been cut up by quite a number of scooters in the last week or so - must be a seasonal thing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nich wrote:
    . I employed a rather nice shoulder barge technique which meant he got knocked down with his metal piece of crap, and I ended up upright.

Those are some mad skillz!

Glad you're relatively ok though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nich wrote:
    Hrun wrote:

No no :)

Bike was oncoming traffic. He turned right, into a side road across me :)

That's what happened to me last Nov. Except it was a car which turned across my path and I went to hospital and still have a dodgy hip from the impact. Lucky it was only a moped! I'm quite skittish now when I see vehicles waiting to turn across in front of me, I noticeably feel myself tense up.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.