Wheelie difficult

MuddyFunster
MuddyFunster Posts: 85
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Much though I love my Spesh Enduro SL, I just can't seem to get the front end up... I don't recall this being a problem with ye olde XC bike (a 'Dale M500,c. 1996), so I got to wondering if this is about the suspension, the angles or what... Are some bikes harder to wheelie / manual than others? Is anyone else willing to admit to a similar dysfunction? And, if so, what's the cure?

Comments

• It's all in the angles.

I've seen this kid around Wimbledon who wheelies it EVERY WHERE, never seen anything like it, some skill. He's got his seat right down and tilted forward into the cross bar - it's quite amazing really.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Enduros have a long wheelbase, I've heard a number of people comment that they're difficult to manual/wheelie, so it's not just you.
  • It doesn't take much difference in geometry either- my DMR lifts easier with the wheel towards the front of the dropouts compared to the rear. Can only be an inch or so worth of adjustment to.

Saying that I can wheelie my Pitch fairly easily, but the DMR is way better for (trying) to manual..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    njee20 wrote:
    Enduros have a long wheelbase, I've heard a number of people comment that they're difficult to manual/wheelie, so it's not just you.

this.

a short chainstay makes your weight really near the back, so much closer to the wheelie/manual balance point to start with.

a longer chainstay (like on most longer wheelbase bikes) puts you much further forward of the balance point.

t can still be done....but you might need to put your backside a little further back than feels comfortable at first.

remember....cover your back brake just in case
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I guess it's a similar story with riding no hands too. As a teenager/student I used to be able to do it no problem on my Raleigh POS "mountain bike".
  • So, my longish wheelbase and the slack(ish) angles keeping my Rubber Queen waaay out front aren't really helping. I'll take the tips on board and spend some time practicing in the garden - that should be more fun than cutting the grass, even if do anticipate getting dumped off the back. A lot.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Just make sure u dont do what i did ages ago and practice whilst clipped into ur pedals, a slight moment of over exzuberance from me and over i went and laid there like a stranded turtle still clipped into the bloody pedals!!!!

All these years lata and i still cant do a proper wheelie....... :oops: :D
  • Keep your finger welded to the back brake and if you over rotate that will bring the front down. People who can manual/wheelie properly 'feather' the brake all the time to keep balance