RLJ at HoP?

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
If heading west out of central London, along the embankment and past the houses of parliament, then four out of five days I find myself waiting at these lights:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,0,13.88

I've always waited for them to turn green before proceeding, and I think that's mainly because it's directly outside the HoP - anyone else feel more law abiding at this spot?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The road further along towards the roundabout has two pedestrian crossings that are often in use, so you don't save any time. Anyone who jumps them is easily caught up with. Also, the traffic is quite busy around there and along with the presence of that low long barrier, often obscures crossing pedestrians, and makes passing on the inside more difficult.

Theres nothing really to be gained from jumping these lights imho :)
  • Dav3m wrote:
    If heading west out of central London, along the embankment and past the houses of parliament, then four out of five days I find myself waiting at these lights:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,0,13.88

I've always waited for them to turn green before proceeding, and I think that's mainly because it's directly outside the HoP - anyone else feel more law abiding at this spot?

Just need to time it. When turning from the bridge if at the front, don't put the hammer down. The first traffic lights normally goes green before you get the and then you can speed up a bit but not too much and that other set go green too with no feet down. I think I've had to stop totally maybe less than 5 times and those were down to peds still chancing it and I to physically stop or crash.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Dav3m wrote:

No, I don't feel *more* law abiding there. I feel as law abiding as I do everywhere else, so I abide by the lights.

Pretty simple, really.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Greg66 wrote:
    No, I don't feel *more* law abiding there. I feel as law abiding as I do everywhere else, so I abide by the lights.

Pretty simple, really.

What a coincidence! I feel exactly that law-abiding at every junction!
    Riding on 531
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Dav3m wrote:

Pretty simple, really.

+1 I'm starting to get rather irked by those that feel less law-abiding. I've even got to voicing my opinion on some occasions and at least got a vague "response" (she looked back...) this morning after one lovely lady narrowly wobbled round some peds crossing on a red light which I'd just stopped for.

I've also had a couple of times where I've had to swerve round cyclist coming out of side roads as they've ignored the red light but they normally get a bit stronger language!

Besides there are police with GUNS near H.o.P, you'd have to be very quick to outrun a bullet....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    Dav3m wrote:

Pretty simple, really.

+1 I'm starting to get rather irked by those that feel less law-abiding. I've even got to voicing my opinion on some occasions and at least got a vague "response" (she looked back...) this morning after one lovely lady narrowly wobbled round some peds crossing on a red light which I'd just stopped for.

I've also had a couple of times where I've had to swerve round cyclist coming out of side roads as they've ignored the red light but they normally get a bit stronger language!

Besides there are police with GUNS near H.o.P, you'd have to be very quick to outrun a bullet....

I out ran a bullet once.

But seriously, breaking the law is breaking the law, regardless of where it is.

The following argument was if you could ride through a red light surrounded by police would you. What if it was in the middle of a forest on a country lane and no one around to see it?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    The following argument was if you could ride through a red light surrounded by police would you. What if it was in the middle of a forest on a country lane and no one around to see it?

If you RLJ in a forest with no one around and get hit by a falling tree does anyone hear you scream?

The other way I look at it is that your on the road and you wouldn't RLJ the same set of lights in a car or on a motorbike so why does being on a bicycle make you act so differently?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BURN HIM!!!!!!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Why can you buy a pint at a pub on your 18th birthday, but not the day before?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Why can you buy a pint at a pub on your 18th birthday, but not the day before?

Same reason you can drive a car on the public highway on your 17th birthday, but not the day before?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A

• +1 I'm starting to get rather irked by those that feel less law-abiding. I've even got to voicing my opinion on some occasions and at least got a vague "response" (she looked back...) this morning after one lovely lady narrowly wobbled round some peds crossing on a red light which I'd just stopped for.

I'd miss RLJers if they all disappeared, because as is generally obvious, RLJers are sh!t cyclists, and the satisfaction of smashing their back doors in 50m down the road from a standing start, is all part of the game
  • I saw someone this morning RLJ a lollipop lady who was at the lights.

Is LLJ worse than RLJ?

Must admit that I was tempted to RLJ tonight when waiting at an empty junction with the rain beating down like a monsoon and wind blowing sheets of it into my face. But I resisted.