TOB Stage 4 ******Spoiler ******

robert-sb
robert-sb Posts: 118
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Just come back from Gittisham Hill just outside Honiton and peloton were about 25 mins behind leaders and taking it easy. One of the rolling road block riders told me that they have been told to hurry up.

Chasing group were certainly giving it some welly. Although Sky's decision, making seems suspect again - the main Sky service car with Brailsford in was following the lead 3. It then stopped right by us and waited for the chasers to come through to give Geraint Thomas a drink - lo and behold 10 mins later Hayman punctures !

Comments

• Unfortunately there does not seem to be live updates today so no idea whats going on.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Irish-Brummie Dan Martin attacked out of the lead group not too long ago.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Irish-Brummie Dan Martin attacked out of the lead group not too long ago.

Caught with 1km to go according to twitter

EDIT: That was inccorrect, about 5km to go now
  • Hoogerland attacked about 1km to go (apparently) and won the stage. Vacansoleil 1-2, no info on 2nd
  • iainf72
    Rick will be happy!
  • iainf72
    Wout Poels, not Johnny.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Ned said it was Wout Poels wot got it.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Jinx
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Yeah, just saw Ned tweeted that. Info a bit flaky on the tour of britain twitter!
  • Provisionally, Jonny Hoogerland (VAC) won with Borut Bozic (VAC) 2nd. That's according to their DS and various others
    http://twitter.com/TourofBritain/status/24479174098

:?
  • lol

No, Wout Poels (VAC) won. Provisionally again but a little bit more confidently this time...

http://twitter.com/TourofBritain/status/24479357761

#tobfail
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    *woo*!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I find it amazing how second rate our national tour seems to be.

Over the weekend I was following the twitter updates, but they seemed to stop 500m from the line, with no more updates for a couple of hours. What is the point of that?

Surely we should be able to get something done to allow fields to be larger. Do any other 2.1 races have so few riders?

Do many other countries also have rolling road closures?
  • squired wrote:
    Do many other countries also have rolling road closures?

We did find the rolling closure confusing with the gap to the peleton. After the chase group had gone through cars started coming both ways and we were totally bemused. There had been no broom wagon yet the roads appeared to be open. After a lot of hanging around believing that there must have been more to come we were, fortunately, proved right (and my lad missed an extra half hour of school which he was please at !)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    According to Ned Boulting, Robbie Hunter was fined for "insults, threats, unseemly behaviour" :roll:

Does that surprise anyone?
  • Still can't find any detailed stage results, or results of any description from the TOB website.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Still no real results published yet....nothing on the tour website and a few select bits on Cycling News....pretty poor considering the race finished hours ago!

Not sure what to make of this race-the course is much better than last year, with a number of stages capable of spliting the group up. In general the race is of a much higher standard as well this year, with Sky, HTC and the other pro tour teams sending some very good riders.... teams such as the Irish National Squad, and I hate to say it, Raleigh look hugely out of their depth though.

However, the tour of britain organisation is very poor at times (mainly refering to a lack of live updates and publishing of results etc) Its also very dissapointing to see that the leading Brit is in eigth place overall-realistically out of the GC and is a domestic based rider.... of the other Brits, Wiggins especially has been a let down. He rode very well on Stage 2, although I too question the merit of losing that time just to tow Henderson less than a km closer to the line. Given his 'GC credentials', but to my mind more importantly, the amount of monet he's being paid, you have to wonder just how much of the season he is going to spend riding around 20 mins of the front of a race!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Felt so sorry for Dan Martin, he was off the front all day with various breaks and got caught in the last few kms. He must have been a bit fed up that Hoogerland joined him and forced the HTC boys to chase. Vacansoleil have been very impressive as they have all season and HTC gave Sky a lesson in defending a jersey (something Sky haven't managed all season going back to the Tour of Dubai).

I think the race suffers from being at this time of year when the best riders are elsewhere and those that are left just can't be bothered in many cases. It's a shame as the course has been pretty good and that one climb yesterday was quite a challenge.

Nothing unusual with rolling road closures outside of the main Tours and Classics but we seem to be more worried about getting the roads back open than many other countries would be but then when the peloton is lagging 25 minutes behind it really doesn't help!