Italian Worlds Team

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Team:

Filippo Pozzato (Katusha), Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Doimo), Luca Paolini (Acqua & Sapone), Francesco Gavazzi (Lampre-Farnese Vini), Daniel Oss (Liquigas-Doimo), Marzio Bruseghin (Caisse d’Epargne), Matteo Tosatto (Quick Step) and Marco Pinotti (HTC-Columbia).

Reserves:

Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2R) and Andrea Tonti (Carmiooro NGC).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian ... am-named-1
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Not quite the force from a couple years ago eh?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I thought Visconti was riding as well?

Also, Rick, it's a good team, with plenty of strong helpers to give Nibali and Pozzato the best chance. The point isn't to pick too many chiefs.
  • rick_chasey
    Kléber wrote:

Also, Rick, it's a good team, with plenty of strong helpers to give Nibali and Pozzato the best chance. The point isn't to pick too many chiefs.

Because they did so badly in Varese!

Italy should be annoyed Ballan isn't up to much these days.

And Cunego for that matter.
  • The idea for the Italian team is to focus on one leader. That is certainly Bettini's view and was Ballerini's. Maybe from Cipo's win I think.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The fact that the Italians leave Petacchi and even Bennati at home puts British ideas about Cavendish' chances in perspective somewhat
  • Looks like the uova are going in the Pippo basket to me...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    FJS wrote:
    The fact that the Italians leave Petacchi and even Bennati at home puts British ideas about Cavendish' chances in perspective somewhat
    Surprised at Bennati's exclusion as he's been up there on the lumpier Vuelta sprints
  • no Visconti? i thought he was missing ToB to prepare?
  • I'd have thought Visconti would have been in with a chance; would have been useful support for Pozzato too.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Bronzie wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Surprised at Bennati's exclusion as he's been up there on the lumpier Vuelta sprints
    Exactly - Bettini thinks it's more than lumpy
  • Fair points by Ballan, however he hasn't shown much this year (decent, not great) and am sure Bettini has good reasons.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Fair points by Ballan, however he hasn't shown much this year (decent, not great) and am sure Bettini has good reasons.

In the two Canadian races he was the best placed Italian with a 6th and a 10th place. So why does Bettini say "he had not shown enough form"? He would be in his best form right at the time of the worlds.
  • Personally I would sell Pozzato buy Ballan, although Ballan did not get a chance to perform in the Classics due to the doping issues.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber wrote:

Yeah, surprised not to see Visconti in there.
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • Visconti is part of the team, which means there are 9 riders from 8 different teams.
  • "The world championships is a very special race but I'm not sure if Italy has a good chance of winning this year," Cipollini told Cyclingnews.

"I'm not criticising Bettini because I think he's a good national coach and the right person to take Franco Ballerini's place. But looking at the riders he's chosen for the Italian team, they seem to be people he knows really well, rather than riders who are on form and best suited to the course in Melbourne.

"The Italian cycling team looks like the Italian football team Marcello Lippi selected for the World Cup in South Africa. He went for the older players and avoided the younger players who could have caused him some problems. But because of that Italy had a poor World Cup.

"I just hope it doesn't end up the same way in Australia. I'm not sure if Marzio Bruseghin is fit enough this year to ride on the front for three laps like he's done in the past.

"He could be the Fabio Cannavaro of the Italian team, who had a nightmare World Cup because he wasn't competitive. And what has Andrea Tonti done this year? He's a nice lad but is he one of the strongest riders we've got? I don’t think so.

"Paolo seems to have gone for the easy option, while in the past Alfredo Martini managed to get the likes of Francesco Moser and Beppe Saronni to work together and win the world title."

Cipollini says he would have selected Liquigas-Doimo sprinter Daniele Bennati in case the race ends in a sprint. He named Philippe Gilbert, Oscar Freire and Mark Cavendish as his favourites to win the rainbow jersey.

"Nobody really knows what the course will be like. I've heard that it will be as hard as the Tour of Flanders but the world championships is always a pretty controlled race," he said.

"I'm sure Mark Cavendish is going there thinking he can win it and so Bettini should have selected a sprinter too. Daniele Bennati seemed on form at the Vuelta, so he should have been included in the Italian team.

"I hope [Filippo] Pozzato, [Giovanni] Visconti or [Vincenzo] Nibali can step up and win but I'd put money on either Freire or Gilbert pulling on the rainbow jersey. Freire was hiding at the Vuelta but he's at his most dangerous when he's hiding because it means he's working on his form and serious about his big objective. Gilbert looks good and has proved he knows how to win big races by going on the attack and in a sprint."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cipolli ... alian-team
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    So Visconti is in? He could be a great bet, he always lights up races...
  • rick_chasey
    Moomaloid wrote:
    So Visconti is in? He could be a great bet, he always lights up races...

Does he have a good record for races over 220km?
  • 61364_445666331274_651206274_5742120_3333924_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • "they seem to be people he knows really well, rather than riders who are on form and best suited to the course in Melbourne

Sound very Italian actually. :lol:
  • csp wrote:
    Fair points by Ballan, however he hasn't shown much this year (decent, not great) and am sure Bettini has good reasons.

In the two Canadian races he was the best placed Italian with a 6th and a 10th place. So why does Bettini say "he had not shown enough form"? He would be in his best form right at the time of the worlds.

It's payback to Ballan and Cunego for the 2008 race, scuppering Bettini's chance of a third consecutive victory in his last professional race. They'll never ride for Italy again. :twisted:
  • Team:

Filippo Pozzato (Katusha), Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Doimo), Luca Paolini (Acqua & Sapone), Francesco Gavazzi (Lampre-Farnese Vini), Daniel Oss (Liquigas-Doimo), Marzio Bruseghin (Caisse d’Epargne), Matteo Tosatto (Quick Step) and Marco Pinotti (HTC-Columbia).

Reserves:

Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2R) and Andrea Tonti (Carmiooro NGC).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/italian ... am-named-1

And your point is?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811
    FJS wrote:

race is going to be real hard early hey are not going to drag all those sprinters in the bunch to the end.

Evans for the double...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • "they seem to be people he knows really well, rather than riders who are on form and best suited to the course in Melbourne

Sound very Italian actually. :lol:

Exactly.
    He's following the same steps as Ballerini.