Commuting Magazine

andydw69
andydw69 Posts: 45
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Is there a need for a monthly cycling magazine dedicated to Commuting?

If you believe the bike companies advertising there are more and more commuting/hybrid bikes being sold so how about a What Commuting Bike or Commuting Biking UK :D

OK there would be a huge cross over in biking equipment, shoes, jackets,etc but what about the bikes themselves. Personally I'm in the market for a new hybrid, running a 1996 Spes HardRock with slicks, and do not have a clue about bike choice and comparisons.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    In this month's issue:

10 best insults for mini cab drivers
    How to swear like fucking trooper
    What shade of yellow is in this season
    Raining? 10 best ways to boil in the bag
    Windy? 10 best ways to MTFU
    Etc...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Asprilla wrote:
    In this month's issue:

Etc...

actual real life lol
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Asprilla wrote:
    In this month's issue:

How to swear like ******* trooper
    Etc...

LOL, Very funny.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    1073 Hi Viz Must Buys!

With a pouting cover shot of Boris on a hire bike

Free flappy Hi-Viz vest with this issue

Sorry, being a bit facetious. I think C+ covers quite a lot of commuter issues, and I would guess that most cycle commuters also ride for fun/race/tour, so a strictly commuting magazine might be a bit restrictive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • * Free beard cleaning brush with this months issue.

* RLJing - a begginers guide.

* Ask LiT - our own Agony Aunt answers your questions

* Brash, brazen and outspoken, the DDD column is back!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Unfortunately, the excellent monthly web-based CityCycling, which covered all these issues very well, has just ceased. The guy producing it simply didn't have the time to do it on his own, and didn't want to let the quality slip.

It's worth going through back issues.

C+ doesn't really cover commuting issues. It's just got so tediously up its bum about sportives to the exclusion of anything else.
    Riding on 531
  • Cycling Active is pretty good on commuter stuff mixed in with touring/ sportive type cycling (if it's not bad form to mention the competition on these boards).
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Evans Cycles already sends me a magazine full of nice 'chic' items for commuting and I'm generally seeing more and more items marketed as "for commuting" than I did 2-3yrs ago.

Back then (lol) you were either a mountain biker, roadie (hybrids weren't taken seriously) and you adapted the hobby for the purpose of commuting.

Now you can get commuting specific hi-iz and shoes.... :roll: and what's more they try to make it fashionable...

You wait until this becomes all the rage again.
    safetywingreflector_lg.jpg

Fashion goes in cycles.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • theres a commuter bookazine thingamy from the C+ guys, Ride2work guide or something, but it's a twice a year jobby rather than a monthly...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Clarion wrote:
    Unfortunately, the excellent monthly web-based CityCycling, which covered all these issues very well, has just ceased. The guy producing it simply didn't have the time to do it on his own, and didn't want to let the quality slip.

It's worth going through back issues.

C+ doesn't really cover commuting issues. It's just got so tediously up its bum about sportives to the exclusion of anything else.

So your one of those people who write into Cycling Weekly complaining that it's all about Sportives, and why don't people join a proper club run, and get dropped off the back to build a bit of character, grumble, grumble... :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Asprilla wrote:
    In this month's issue:

How to swear like ******* trooper
    Etc...

I'm a buyer
  • * Girls in their Hessian overtrousers

* Helmet Hair - learn to love it.

* How to dry clothes fast
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Err ever read Cycling Plus?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    * Brash, brazen and outspoken, the DDD column is back!

The poor man's Tony Bell ( or should that be the non-racing man's Tony Bell)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    andydw69 wrote:
    Is there a need for a monthly cycling magazine dedicated to Commuting?
    quote]

Erm in short, no.

A commuting mag would suffer from a more acute version of the problem Cycling plus does. There isn't enough content for a 12 month cycle of monthly releases. Which to my mind is why you end up getting very similar articles every three or so months in C+.

And to be fair to BR, it is a problem most monthly magazines suffer from - the FHM/Mens health/Vogue - all have incredibly predictable article listing. Lets face it Mens health is basicly the same copy with different pictures each month.
  • You could have a cartoon strip on the inside back cover 'D-Lock the Fakenger'.

D-Lock gets into hilarious scrapes each issue, nearly knocks a pensioner down on a pedestrian crossing with his trusty sidekick RLJ.