T.O.B. so-called yellow jersey

stickman
stickman Posts: 791
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
It seems to be mostly white and look really naff.
Next year JUST MAKE IT YELLOW!
Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
More stuff:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    stickman wrote:
    It seems to be mostly white and look really naff.
    Next year JUST MAKE IT YELLOW!

Why yellow? That's TdF.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The ToB needs its own special leaders jersey and I suggest a rainbow one to reflect Britains diverse culture and landscape.
  • How about a huge St George's Cross, with a small dragon on it..... to reflect the complete blanking of Scotland and Northern Ireland..... Rename it the Tour of England.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The ToB needs its own special leaders jersey and I suggest a rainbow one to reflect Britains diverse culture and landscape.

and the fact that it's always bloody raining
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    How about a huge St George's Cross, with a small dragon on it..... to reflect the complete blanking of Scotland and Northern Ireland..... Rename it the Tour of England.

How's that going to work next year, then? Or, in fact, last year when it was in Peebles? Or is that England now, then?
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    How about a huge St George's Cross, with a small dragon on it..... to reflect the complete blanking of Scotland and Northern Ireland..... Rename it the Tour of England.

How's that going to work next year, then? Or, in fact, last year when it was in Peebles? Or is that England now, then?

Peebles is barely in Scotland....... a short cross border raid. It misses out the real glorious stuff up the north west coast. Yes, yes, yes it is a crowd pleaser, but do some up north and the crowds will come.
  • richred_uk wrote:
    it's always bloody raining

So instead of a yellow one we should go for a dull grey then? :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • The leader jerseys were invented to be a single colour that stands out from the usual team colours. In the T.O.B. besides the yellow being mostly white, the polka dot is mostly dotless, the blue points jersey is white, blue and black.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ketsbaia wrote:

Peebles is barely in Scotland....... a short cross border raid. It misses out the real glorious stuff up the north west coast. Yes, yes, yes it is a crowd pleaser, but do some up north and the crowds will come.

Well if your fellow countrymen were not so tight, they too cvould have stages of the ToB.

It costs money to get stages of the ToB to go through your area, as with the TdF and other Tours. A distinct lack ofwillingness to put those short ams into the deep pockets is why the ToB is not in Scotland
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Well if your fellow countrymen were not so tight, they too cvould have stages of the ToB.

It costs money to get stages of the ToB to go through your area, as with the TdF and other Tours. A distinct lack ofwillingness to put those short ams into the deep pockets is why the ToB is not in Scotland

I have no idea how it works. Shame really as there is some excellent riding up this way. You would have thought the organisers would want it to be on some of the most scenic roads in Britain, not just the ones clogged up with dosh!!
  • spen666

I have no idea how it works. Shame really as there is some excellent riding up this way. You would have thought the organisers would want it to be on some of the most scenic roads in Britain, not just the ones clogged up with dosh!!

Typical Scottish approach - ie lets forget about little things like who is going to pay for this?

Who is going to pay the costs of:

a) the teams travelling to the stage(s) you want in scotland?
    b) the accomodation costs?
    c) the policing costs?
    d) the organising on the ground and sorting out of logistics

Ahhh yes, lets expect someone else to pay for it..
    Want the ride to come to Scotland, then dig deep in the pocket and pay for it. We are not going to pay for it to go to Scotland if you are not prepared to pay for it

I suggest you start petitioning the relevant development agencies/ councils in the Areas you think the ride should go .

I agree that Scotland has great Sceneray for riding and could make some great stages.

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

Typical Scottish approach - ie lets forget about little things like who is going to pay for this?

Who is going to pay the costs of:

a) the teams travelling to the stage(s) you want in scotland?
    b) the accomodation costs?
    c) the policing costs?
    d) the organising on the ground and sorting out of logistics

Ahhh yes, lets expect someone else to pay for it..
    Want the ride to come to Scotland, then dig deep in the pocket and pay for it. We are not going to pay for it to go to Scotland if you are not prepared to pay for it

I suggest you start petitioning the relevant development agencies/ councils in the Areas you think the ride should go .

I agree that Scotland has great Sceneray for riding and could make some great stages.

:idea: We could use the money from the North Sea oil!!! No wait, that has all been spent on London.... :idea: Lottery Money,.... no wait that has all been spent on the Olympics....
  • spen666
    :idea: We could use the money from the North Sea oil!!! No wait, that has all been spent on London.... :idea: Lottery Money,.... no wait that has all been spent on the Olympics....

What a suprise, the Scots ignore the fact they get more money per head than the rest of Great Britain under the Barnett Formulae.

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

What a suprise, the Scots ignore the fact they get more money per head than the rest of Great Britain under the Barnett Formulae.

Its Because We Are Worth It!!!!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    they (we, I'm from Peebles, questionably Scottish it may be!) need more money for defences to keep the minglish out.
    FCN 12
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain.
  • Pokerface wrote:

Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain.

The term "Great Britain" (and the abbreviation 'GB') is the traditional 'short form' of the full country title 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.
  • Pokerface
    GB and UK are two very different things. GB is NOT the same as the UK.

"Great Britain is very often, but incorrectly, used as a synonym for the sovereign state properly known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the UK for short."
  • Pokerface
    Furthermore....

"Sometimes people use the shorten name Britain instead of Great Britain, to mean the same thing, but really Britain only refers to England and Wales.

The name Britain goes back to Roman times when they called England and Wales "Britannia" (or "Britannia Major", to distinguished from "Britannia Minor", ie Brittany in France). The Roman province of Britannia only covered the areas of modern England and Wales. The area of modern Scotland was never finally conquered."

Therefore - Tour of BRITAIN would be correct for a race that features only England and Wales.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Pokerface wrote:

"Great Britain is very often, but incorrectly, used as a synonym for the sovereign state properly known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or the UK for short."

Pfft, all just Engerland innit?
    Or London and surrounding area.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I blame the UCI
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Pokerface wrote:

Quite. OK, lets ditch the Irish.....
  • spen666
    Great Britain as in the Isle is just Eng, Scotland & Wales

Twittering @spen_666
  • If we do rename it Tour of England that would make it the T.o.E :-)

Also are you sure Scotland is ready for a mass road race? I mean I'm not sure if the team cars will carry enough spare wheels to deal with all the mass tack attacks ;-)

Get back vaguely on topic for the T.o.B(E) it looks like it was pretty slow going for the rear today.......or so I gather from the Twitter-sphere
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5