Blood passport NYVelocity interview

Richrd2205
Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
edited September 2010 in Pro race
I saw this tonight & haven't seen it on this board previously....
I was intrigued by some of the aspects of the interview: I'm quite cynical about the efficacy, in absolute terms, of the blood passport, however, some of the stuffs that come out of this interview are intriguing:
In terms of positive blood doping cases over the past few years my best estimates for cycling are that in 2008 there were 15 cases, in 2009 there were 20 cases and in 2010 there have been 7 cases in which there was a positive urine test (for EPO, CERA, Dynepo).
(Who was the sanctioned positive?)
But interesting figures, especially given the relatively speeds of the big hitters in the TdF this year.
The beauty of the passport approach is two-fold. If it does not capture all of the cheats (no system can at the moment) then it certainly limits their ability to dope with impunity and therefore the ability to gain any real performance benefits. This must therefore beg the question in the mind of potential dopers' 'is it worth the risk?'. Once the seeds of doubt are laid cultural change is possible. The other benefit is that no matter the agent/substance/method being used to blood dope the passport approach is still relevant. In other words the passport approach has little redundancy.
I like (& know (& it's good)) the psychology of this, but what about the science. It's a very appealing perspective, but how real is it?
Apologies if I've had a search-fail. but opinions are invited.....

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think the science backs that up - I mean, in simple terms, if you take more of a susbtance it is easier to detect. And the higher you fire up your hematocrit, the bigger the change in a load of blood parameters.

What he didn't explicitly say from those excerpts, but what is obvious, is that it also alters the risk/reward ratio. Is it worth microdosing with epo or testosterone to gain a small performance benefit, when you are not sure you will go undetected or not?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    This quote caught my eye:
    I expect that anyone with 'suspicious' values would not publish their results period. The only values that I have seen in a public forum are those that are relatively normal.

Does this devalue Biking Bernie's Official Graph of Doubt?