700c wheels

noelymc
noelymc Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I have a cannondale Bad boy 700 bike and over the weekend somebody stole the wheels from it. Does anybody have any ideas of what rims and hubs etc would be suitable to replace as it is quite difficult to get the original ones again. I am also on a tight budget.

Comments

• How tight is tight? I have Mavic Aksiums on my cyclocross, I suspect they may fit. Looks like about 150 quid for a set. Or you can grab some Shimano r500s on sale for around 80 on Chain reaction right now.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    R500s are around £85 - £90 regardless of the seller. Merlin are the cheapest at £75 but charge postage, CRC are £90 post free and there are sellers on Ebay for £85 post free.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I forgot to mention earlier that these have to be compatible with disc brakes also, This is why Im finding it difficult to replace them. I think the R500's only made for rim brakes.
  • not cheap but meant to be quite good and disc compatible are mavic speedcity wheels. was going to get some for my mtb for commuting, but just made a cheap singlespeed instead:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/speedcity-disc-wheel-set-13993

if that's out of your price range, Shimano t565s are cheaper and should fit the bill:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/t565-trekking-wheelset-8872[/url]
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Listing for the 2010 model on Evans says it's Deore hubs with 622x28 tyres.
    For 2008 model it says
    Wheels: Sun DS-2 32 hole 28 inch rims with Formula 32 hole hubs

Are Road wheels still 130mm OLD and MTB 135mm OLD?
    If so it reads like your going to need an MTB hub with a road rim, which probably means your going to need to get at least the rear wheel built for you.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Gryphon came with 700c disc wheels, now on 26" MTB disc wheels with 135, I assume the originals were 135 as they went in easily enough!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • if you've got a steel frame just cold set it in.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Alphabet wrote:
    if you've got a steel frame just cold set it in.
    Did that recently on an old 126mm Ralleigh frame I have, disturbingly easy.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days