help buying a bike

reacher
reacher Posts: 416
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
ttt

Comments

• 58" that's tiny! 54cm is way too big, I ride two 54cm and I'm 5'8". for 4'10"? Looking at extra small or small, problably.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • im thinking he meant 5ft 8.5 inches
  • reacher
    yea sorry guys , 5 ft 8.5
    worlds fattest midget ,lol
    guys on another post some one said that their is not much differance betwen 105 and ultegra ??
    is that correct
  • im almost dissappointed :lol:
  • reacher
    thats what the other midget i met down the gym on a blind date said ,
    what about this bike then ?
    aluminium or carbon ?
    will carbon last ?
    have'nt got a tour bus behind me with 50 spare bikes on it if i break it
  • reacher
    and while your all thinkin ,
    this ribble , good bikes guys ?
    or so so ,
  • reacher
    right i'm off to the gym , 1500 people on line , get your thinkin hats on and lets have some answers by the morning ,
    need to sort out a bike sharpish , an start my transformation into lance armstrong
    bye
    untill 2 morow
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Here you go. This should see you right:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... _Road_Bike
  • Boardman Team Carbon, only bike in the price range to get 10/10 in Cycling Plus, and I've got one and love it.
    Well specc'd with SRAM Rival, very easy to use, smooth and so far fault free. Bike rides really well, I've put 800 miles on it this year, and find it really comfortable.
    You'll get a lot of people saying Halfords are cr*p, some are, others aren't, but if you don't like them, buy the bike and take it to your LBS and never go back, I haven't.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • reacher
    cheers guys , i will have a look at the boardman one tonight , must say that titanium one looks the business , is it a good spec on the gears etc ,
    my brother in australia said about titanium being good ,
  • ive been looking at the boardman as well

the team carbon was 999.99 and now they've put it up to 1199.99.

i went into halfords over the weekend and as expected you end up talking to trainee dogs bodies.. i was told that the new team carbon 2011 will be in halfords in early november
    "Never rub another man's rhubarb"
  • Garry H
    reacher wrote:
    cheers guys , i will have a look at the boardman one tonight , must say that titanium one looks the business , is it a good spec on the gears etc ,
    my brother in australia said about titanium being good ,

It's 105. Performs more than adequately.
  • a ti bike is going to cost you a fortune, and that's before wheelset and groupset. A £1000 bike will be great. You probably want to fork out another few hundred for clothings, tools and general bike things.
  • I've got a Ribble Gran Fondo (Campag Centaur Carbon which I prefer to Ultegra). Had no problems with Ribble or the bike which I really love. Details here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... gran+fondo

I also think the Van Nichols bikes from Fat Birds look great value & plenty will recommend the Cannondale CAAD 9. It's replacement, the CAAD 10 should be released soon but not sure when in the UK. In the meantime:

http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/Ca ... %20%202011

This may fit you too - if you're quick (though over budget):
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec023370
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • reacher
    same , halfords was a waste of time with the staff ,
    spoke to the guy at fat birds , he seemed to be pretty switched on ,
    carbon i'm woried about the longevity of , i was thinking titanium if it lasts as it should will be a cheap bike
  • Steel and alu lasts too, just got to make sure nothing is seized/rusted. Usual suspects are seat posts, bottom bracket, and headset/forks I think.
  • reacher wrote:
    i was thinking titanium if it lasts as it should will be a cheap bike

I think a titanium Van Nichols with 105 is quite a bargain at £1,300 but I reckon they may sell out pretty quickly!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • Garry H
    a ti bike is going to cost you a fortune, and that's before wheelset and groupset. A £1000 bike will be great. You probably want to fork out another few hundred for clothings, tools and general bike things.

The one in the above link is GBP1299, That's "about" GBP 1200