Swinley - Babymaker accident?

J@mesC
J@mesC Posts: 129
edited September 2010 in Routes
Was over at Swinley today and rode the Babymaker a couple of times and when heading back up the side of the tabletops there was a load of medical shrapnel lying around - syringes, gauze/dressings, IV saline bag. Anyone know who was involved and whether they are OK? Fingers crossed...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ouch! Though not unexpected. I think they get a few like that now and again and have heard of the air ambulance setting down nearby on the top.

I'm guessing one of the DHer kids sessioning it.

The jump gully often has ambulances in attendance too, but usually just simple breaks.

Just hope the guy is a) OK and b) isn't going to sue the estate as that'll spell the end of babymaker (or at least it'll be tamed like every other trail in the country where people sue or are likely to :().
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Didn't see anything when I was there yesterday, although there was a guy at the jump gulley being epic :D He managed to fly 1.5 metres forward from a root 2-3cm high :shock:

Is Babymaker the one with the tabletops, or the one on the far right?
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • yep that's baby maker

hope the guys not badly hurt, and he doesn't sue.
    i overshot the second table straight into the berm the other day, luckily didn't crash, just flew off the berm into the trees

don't go there much now we've built our own trail- swinley's a 30 min plus drive and we can't drive=annoyed parents, but it takes hardly 30 min to ride to our trail
  • thel33ter
    hbrashaw wrote:
    hope the guys not badly hurt, and he doesn't sue.
    i overshot the second table straight into the berm the other day, luckily didn't crash, just flew off the berm into the treesl

I did the overshooting thing too the other day, apart from the not crashing, managed to land on the upslope of one of the second one :roll:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Last time I rode it I got a broken wrist and busted ribs for the trouble... must say I've steered clear since.

Getting soft in my old age I guess.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • You'd think they'd clear all that medical crap up after them...

Maybe it was to serve as a warning to others :wink:
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • J@mesC
    booldawg wrote:
    You'd think they'd clear all that medical crap up after them

Or maybe they were just in a hurry to get somewhere? Like hospital. :shock:
  • Not sure about the babymaker, but when I was out on Saturday there was an accident at the gully. Only Park Rangers there but apparently the guy cut his lip and his brake leaver was stuck in it :shock: or something.

And i was told he had a £200 helmet :o
  • Owch, got to admit I'm no jumper so tend to just zig zag past the jumps on the baby maker, and probably very slowly compared to most!
  • Anonymous
    macomater wrote:
    Not sure about the babymaker, but when I was out on Saturday there was an accident at the gully. Only Park Rangers there but apparently the guy cut his lip and his brake leaver was stuck in it :shock: or something.

And i was told he had a £200 helmet :o
    At least he had one. Loads of kids in the gully don't bother with one at all!
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Owch, got to admit I'm no jumper so tend to just zig zag past the jumps on the baby maker, and probably very slowly compared to most!

I tend to just roll over the jumps and table tops on the Babymaker. Gone are the days when I disengaged my brain and didn't worry what was on the other side of drops! :)
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    Owch, got to admit I'm no jumper so tend to just zig zag past the jumps on the baby maker, and probably very slowly compared to most!

Of the 4 (i think) entry points at the top, which one is the babymaker?

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • thel33ter
    matt748 wrote:

The one off to the right as far back as you can go.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    thel33ter wrote:
    matt748 wrote:

The one off to the right as far back as you can go.

I thought it was the second from the left?

First from the left is the easier downhill run. Second is the one with tabletops (which I thought was babymaker). One to the far right is a straight fast run down the hill. Not tried third from left.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • thel33ter
    Dunno, I'm confused now.

I call them: left left, left right, middle, babymaker and that other one. :lol:
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    There's a 5th too I think further back on the right, but few go down there and last I did it was covered in branches.

Hard to see them but immediate left is no.1 but that then I think has the option of going to the far left or swinging round to the right (or you can do the steep roll to get to it), then I think by the pile of sand is no.2 which meets no.1 option 2, no.3 just to the right of that (has the table tops?), then furthest right is no.4.
    3672943843_374585c09b_z.jpg

I think there's more than one that has table tops? I generally stick to the 1st or the one with table tops (3?).

And then there's the full labyrinth option running up and around all over from the bottom.
  • mhzfip.jpg

Ok - Here is what they are (excuse the names, we make half of them up)

1. Immediate Left is Deerstalker (probably the most riden, sweeping berms etc, no real table tops)
    2.Immediate Left and then Sharp right we call Deerstalker 2.

1&2 are both accessable through the first left entry. And are in my opinion, the best 2 singletracks in Swinley. Both are long, sweeping and fast and come out in the middle.

3. In the middle on the left (the second entrace) we call venom. It's fast, VERY loose start and has some nice jumps and one VERY fat table top in the middle, this is the one that just before the very end has a tree stump right in the middle of the trail.

All 3 of the above trails come out in the middle of the forest, where there are 2 exits, Straight out to Fire Road or Off and on to Labrynth.

4. Middle. Straight downhill that has a kind of twin lane Sceletrix track in the middle. Not that good. Come out on fireroad

5. Babymaker on the right that has lovly tops and jumps and it VERY fast, comes out on the right hand fire road (if you turn right you have to go up the hill).

6. Far right - old trail that is now gathering cover.

That is how we see/call them anyway[/img]
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, yes, that's more like it. Deerstalker is the other name I forget.

For some reason I've often ignored Babymaker thinking it's not much interest. Maybe just because it comes out on the far right and I don't do jumps anyway.

For some reason also thought Deerstalker 2 joins one of the others. They do all look similar.

There's still the tiny one further back to the right of Babymaker from what I remember but as I say I don't think it gets ridden much or is of much interest.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Well

2 is the original start to the labrynth

3 is actually the baby maker not 5
  • Anonymous
    Confused now :? :D

Ah well, it's all fun anyway.
  • anjs
    Baby maker starts off loose at the top does a few zig zags and then has the 3 table tops in a row before a tight bend to the left.
  • You say that 2 is the start to Deerstalker - yes it is - 1 AND 2 start there, the are 2 trails that start from the point.

Babymaker is the confusing one - it would make sense that 3 is babymaker as it is more aggressive than 5. But I was always told thay it's 5 due to the jumps down there.
  • J@mesC
    Accident site was on 3 which is what I was told was babymaker!
  • I think Babymaker is 3 - I have been told wrong.

1. Deerstalker
    2. Deerstalker 2 (My name)
    3. Babymaker
    4. Scaletrix (My Name)
    5. Face Break (My new name due to a mates off there)

So does anybody know the REAL names of 2,4 or 5?

Where is the Axel Run?
  • anjs
    2 was the orginal start of the labyrnth and either 4 oor 5 is the axel run