Travel vs category of bike, gone mad or what?

13»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It may be a glentress knobbers thing to be fair :lol: Nowhere else have I seen people do chicken runs then say "That was too easy" :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've been around far too many people, and ridden with a few, at Glentress that say the whole thing is really easy when 1, they took all the really easy lines 2, they haven't done most of the trails but think because they can do most things in the FR park they are the best evar and can do anything on the trails but they stop at little things but say they were just resting and 3, they are really slow at anything technical but think because they can pedal quickly that they are the fastest ever

There are far far too many people like this at Glentress unfortunatly, but there are many many others who are alright and don't go overrating themselves and underating the trails
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    peter413 wrote:
    they stop at little things but say they were just resting

You said you wouldn't tell :cry:
    peter413 wrote:
    3, they are really slow at anything technical but think because they can pedal quickly that they are the fastest ever

At least this one can't be me- I can't pedal quickly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ....did my post get removed or am did I muck that up.....? Maybe i need a longer travel mouse...? :?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I was at Llandegla a couple of weeks ago and we came across a lad riding a honking great big Specialized with twin crown forks, monster truck wheels and double barreled coil shock. He was sweating like a pig after the middle zig zag climb and having a breather. We stopped in the same spot for a drink and a blow and had a quick chat with him. I have to admit before the chat I had a tiny little thought of "dickhead whats he brought that beast here for" turns out it was a brand new bike, he lived not far away and he had bought it to Llandegla for a shake down ride before he took it to the Alps for a weeks lunacy.

Moral of the story before you get all reverse snobby and jealous of someone with a bigger/better/more expensive bike find out why they are riding it. Just because you choose or because of circumstances have to ride a hardtail or a cheap bike it doesnt make you a better person or a better rider. Dont slag off someone elses choice and then try and justify yourself, your just a jealous little tosser who needs to get a life.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    stubs wrote:
    II had a tiny little thought of "dickhead whats he brought that beast here for"
    your just a jealous little tosser who needs to get a life.
    :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I really need to try a newer style full sus, I just can't imagine it'll be as nimble as a hardtail but I'd like to be proven wrong.

After suspension development has reached its pinnacle what is the next thing on the agenda to make the "ultimate bike"?
  • I haven't found a FS bike i like to ride as much as my hardtails, keep testing things out though
  • actually that's a lie, i did rather like the rocky mountain element.
  • I haven't found a FS bike i like to ride as much as my hardtails, keep testing things out though

this
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    actually that's a lie, i did rather like the rocky mountain element.

Nay! This! You just haven't found a good one yet :twisted:
  • I can't say that I miss the days when your 'suspension' depended on the size of your tyres.
  • I can't say that I miss the days when your 'suspension' depended on the size of your tyres.

me neither, i run 2.0/2.1s for the most part and still haven't found a FS worth a sh!t in terms of enjoyment factor.
  • TargetP wrote:
    Hhhmmmm........

Consider this, more travel reduces the skills required of the rider. Therefore the rider can do more, feels more capable and thus makes more difficult routes more accessible to the average rider, by default those routes that were challenging previously become easier and I dare say "boring"

I rode a rigid fork hard tail for years and only moved up to a short travel full sus when I could no longer keep up with the crew on their new bikes. Then two things happened; I tested an all mountain full susser on the black route at GT and rode it faster than ever before, no one could keep up; later I busted my shoulder on a kicker jump when I got it crossed up and couldn't get away from the bike I was clipped into.

Taking my time to ponder; firstly the all mountain route would be a mistake, I am always pushing the limits and those limits on that type of bike are so much higher that the next time I got it wrong was going to equal serious hurt; so what next? I realised the guy I admired most always rode a hardtail and still managed to thrash almost everyone, after a long chat I took a step back to what was laughingly (by today's standards) called a Long Travel hardtail - a DMR Trailstar with 130mm of coilsprung RS Revelation fork and flat peddles.

Results 2 years on: My bike handling skills are substantially better than ever before, I can even bunny hop properly on flats now! My confidence and the amount of fun I have on almost any trail has grown exponentially. I have rocked the DMR in the Pyrenees and the Tuscan Alps. Oh and that smug feeling of satisfaction I get passing the guys on their very, very expensive big full sussers is priceless :wink: Not bad for an old duffer of 45 :wink:

And finally
    Gone mad or what?
    Only if you believe hype of the PR Men who's only goal is to get you to part with your hard earned pennies as frequently as possible :twisted:

You should get a crosser :)

Seriously though, every serious mountain biker should own at least a couple of bikes. No one bike is "best" at everything or going to make you the best you can be.By riding different types of bikes, you'll develop a wider range of skills and abilities. Also, different bikes are better at different things... obviously.

Mind you, if you're happy riding the same bike on the same trails every weekend, so be it I suppose.

I went for a ride with my Dad on his new crosser. I mocked him before we set off but he set the pace up the climbs (it was muddy, so his tyres cut through the mud while I was spinning... is my excuse), but I blew him away on fast DH singletrack (on my XC hardtail w/100mm sids) but it was kinda even on the flat, smooth single track sections.

We both had an awesome ride and much heckling accusing one another of having the "wrong" bike whilst trying to keep up with one another.

I hope I'm that fit when I'm nearly 60 ;)
    Kona Kula custom build hardtail
    Whyte 146 Works
    Pinarello FP2
    Kona AA 1x9 rigid
  • JonKula wrote:
    TargetP wrote:
    Hhhmmmm........

Consider this, more travel reduces the skills required of the rider. Therefore the rider can do more, feels more capable and thus makes more difficult routes more accessible to the average rider, by default those routes that were challenging previously become easier and I dare say "boring"

I rode a rigid fork hard tail for years and only moved up to a short travel full sus when I could no longer keep up with the crew on their new bikes. Then two things happened; I tested an all mountain full susser on the black route at GT and rode it faster than ever before, no one could keep up; later I busted my shoulder on a kicker jump when I got it crossed up and couldn't get away from the bike I was clipped into.

Taking my time to ponder; firstly the all mountain route would be a mistake, I am always pushing the limits and those limits on that type of bike are so much higher that the next time I got it wrong was going to equal serious hurt; so what next? I realised the guy I admired most always rode a hardtail and still managed to thrash almost everyone, after a long chat I took a step back to what was laughingly (by today's standards) called a Long Travel hardtail - a DMR Trailstar with 130mm of coilsprung RS Revelation fork and flat peddles.

Results 2 years on: My bike handling skills are substantially better than ever before, I can even bunny hop properly on flats now! My confidence and the amount of fun I have on almost any trail has grown exponentially. I have rocked the DMR in the Pyrenees and the Tuscan Alps. Oh and that smug feeling of satisfaction I get passing the guys on their very, very expensive big full sussers is priceless :wink: Not bad for an old duffer of 45 :wink:

And finally
    Gone mad or what?
    Only if you believe hype of the PR Men who's only goal is to get you to part with your hard earned pennies as frequently as possible :twisted:

You should get a crosser :)

Seriously though, every serious mountain biker should own at least a couple of bikes. No one bike is "best" at everything or going to make you the best you can be.By riding different types of bikes, you'll develop a wider range of skills and abilities. Also, different bikes are better at different things... obviously.

Mind you, if you're happy riding the same bike on the same trails every weekend, so be it I suppose.

I went for a ride with my Dad on his new crosser. I mocked him before we set off but he set the pace up the climbs (it was muddy, so his tyres cut through the mud while I was spinning... is my excuse), but I blew him away on fast DH singletrack (on my XC hardtail w/100mm sids) but it was kinda even on the flat, smooth single track sections.

We both had an awesome ride and much heckling accusing one another of having the "wrong" bike whilst trying to keep up with one another.

I hope I'm that fit when I'm nearly 60 ;)

Holy shoot you've opened up a can of worms there...brace yourself!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    they stop at little things but say they were just resting

You said you wouldn't tell :cry:
    peter413 wrote:
    3, they are really slow at anything technical but think because they can pedal quickly that they are the fastest ever

At least this one can't be me- I can't pedal quickly.

Funnily enough, I wasn't referring to you but I was mostly reffering to someone I used to ride with a lot and you know them. You couls probably geuss who it is even though you have never ridden with them
  • Holy shoot you've opened up a can of worms there...brace yourself!

Heh, maybe.

You looking at the new Whyte 146 too? I can't wait to sit on one at the London bike show in 3 weeks time!

Awesome value, I keep thinking "there must be something wrong with it". I hope I'm wrong.
    Kona Kula custom build hardtail
    Whyte 146 Works
    Pinarello FP2
    Kona AA 1x9 rigid
  • JonKula wrote:
    Holy shoot you've opened up a can of worms there...brace yourself!

Heh, maybe.

You looking at the new Whyte 146 too? I can't wait to sit on one at the London bike show in 3 weeks time!

Awesome value, I keep thinking "there must be something wrong with it". I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think Whyte are at the Cycle Show. But yes....looking at the 146..very good value for money and having ridden one at Bike Radar Live I just have to have one!!

Edit: I stand corrected...they are now:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/32844/On-Your-Bike-London-hosts-Genesis-and-Whyte-launches
  • Just changed from my 07 stump fsr, and got a 6" mondraker dune, and riding down with the angles is like night and day for me.

But i respect not everyone enjoys riding in the same way