Anyone with decent tyre levers passing Paddington at 17:15?

SamWise72
SamWise72 Posts: 453
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Turns out my Topeak Hexus II multi tool has tyre levers made of cheese strings! I've got a flat, and I'm away from home all week, reliant on my bike. These tyre levers are a joke; just goes to show that you might THINK you're prepared, but you might be wrong.
MiniLogo-1.jpg
http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Just nip into the nearest Starbucks and grab a spoon
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Evans Cycles at Notting Hill, £3 for Park tyre levers?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • That might be a goer. It's annoying, as I have 4 Pedro's levers at home, but I spent money on this 'ere multitool to save space. The Pedro's will be going in my little toolbag thing.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dhope wrote:
    Evans Cycles at Notting Hill, £3 for Park tyre levers?

this^ park tools tyre levers are great
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Tyre levers at the nearest bike shop

Or

Kitchen shop and by a couple spoons (people don't use spoons anymore but i remember them being easier than my tyre levers).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    This bike blog on the gruniad might be of interest:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/13/bike-thief-stolen-tips
    But even the busiest streets empty out eventually, so if Aziz really wanted a particular bike he would damage a tyre so the owner would leave it in the rack for longer. "Someone, if they find their tyre punctured they should take their bike with them, right at that minute because someone has done it on purpose to come and take it after."
  • After tonight's experience, let me give a -1 to Park levers. I went as suggested to Evans, bought a set, and set to work on my bike. Admittedly, the Marathons on my folder are hard going, but my yellow Pedro's levers have always got them off after a bit of a fight. As time went on tonight, however, it was getting harder not easier, and I discovered I had bent the ends of the levers flat! Luckily, the Evans mechs had not quite gone home, so I paid £5.50 for them to do it. Apparently they broke two Park levers on it, and had to resort to two of the big long Pedros levers (not the ones I have) to get it off. So, I'm an hour behind schedule, and the moral is, don't buy Park, buy Pedros.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• I advocate spoonage it takes me back to my yoof.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I've got these.

work fine on my tough old Gatorskins
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • I have carbon rims on my race bikes so need wide blade levers. I have broken both Park and Pedros. As a mechanical design engineer experienced in plastics design I see the Parks have in-built stress raisers and the plastic is brittle, so they will break more readily if you give them to much to do. The Pedros are a softer material and have stress reliever pits moulded in. They still break, but it's more like pealing rather than shattering. I now treat tyre levers are consumable items, and carry three Pedros levers with me rather than just the two.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • I just use the cheap metal ones, and take care. they don't snap or scratch the rims as long as your not ham fisted.
  • I just use the cheap metal ones, and take care. they don't snap or scratch the rims as long as your not ham fisted.

Fine for plain metal rims, but not for ceramic coatings or carbon because it's all to easy to chip the surface. I think metal levers are also becoming more difficult to get hold of.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I just use the cheap metal ones, and take care. they don't snap or scratch the rims as long as your not ham fisted.

+1
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Kitchen shop and by a couple spoons (people don't use spoons anymore but i remember them being easier than my tyre levers).

That's true, a lot more leverage on a spoon that's about twice the length of the typical tyre levers.

I use Pedros DH tyre lever myself, pretty much modelled on a spoon

86638.jpg

Vote Pedro!
    FCN = 4
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That's true, a lot more leverage on a spoon that's about twice the length of the typical tyre levers.

I use Pedros DH tyre lever myself, pretty much modelled on a spoon

86638.jpg

Vote Pedro!
    I used to use spoons as tyre levers when I was a kid. They tended to end up looking like props from the first matrix film.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Depending on how tight your tyres are, you can sometimes get away without tyre levers.

Take wheel off, and hold it vertically. Grab hold of a handful of tyre on each side of the wheel and push down hard towards the floor. This will sometimes provide enough slack in the tyre in the bottom half of the wheel to roll it off over the rim using bare hands....

Some tyres you have no chance, but it's amazing how many you can get off with this trick! Failing that, spoons!
  • the cheap metal cored levers are dire, in the shop we have a collection of about 10 (we opened mid-january) of ones with snapped tips...

I tend to use thumbs now.
  • i use these, bit big to carry tho but never break

http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?p ... 79&pg=2106
    dont only ride a bike