Back on the bike after 10 years

Extralight
Extralight Posts: 136
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
This morning was my first time back on the bike commuting after a lay off of more than 10 years - I gave up partly out of laziness but largely because I stopped enjoying it. People trying to kill me on a daily basis started to get to me!

The good news is that the 15 mile trip to Ealing was manageable and relatively pleasant (although I suspect the ride home tonight will be a little more arduous!). Only one minor incident (a car parked in the bus lane opened its door in front of me), but otherwise trouble free.

What was disappointing was other cyclists, and there are so many more than when I last commuted regularly. I gave every one I saw on the other side of the rode a friendly nod, and said hello to each that I met at lights or passed. Not one person even acknowledged this - what's that all about? Cyclists on the Uxbridge Road (A4020) seemed especially aloof.

Still, I'm determined not to let this stop me being courteous to those I share the road with. Maybe you'll say hello if you see me!

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Times have changed I'm afraid. Unless you're out on a clubrun, acknowledging other cyclists is the exception rather than the norm these days. Sad but true.

On the bright side, cycling is a lot more popular and accepted by other road users, so you may find less people are out to get you.

Welcome back by the way!
  • Welcome, and good on you in getting back out.

I find most cyclist friendly, and give most a nod at least or a "morning"/"evening" as appropriate. Mostly this is done as I speed past them... :wink:

Some do look rather dour faced though.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I find that when I'm driving my car. I wave wildly and enthusiasticlly at other drivers, but I don't get many friendly responses.
    <stupidity/>

The occasional cyclist encountered in the country might merit the INR, but when there are loads? Surely you end up looking like a nodding dog from the parcel shelf of a 1982 Cortina?
  • I find most cyclist friendly, and give most a nod at least or a "morning"/"evening" as appropriate. Mostly this is done as I speed past them

What's the accepted etiquette in this situation? I find that acknowledging fellow cyclists coming in the opposite direction is still the norm in the sticks, but if I'm passing someone, it would seem rather smug to turn to my left and say "Morning" as I leave them behind. So I just keep my head down and carry on.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I find most cyclist friendly, and give most a nod at least or a "morning"/"evening" as appropriate. Mostly this is done as I speed past them

What's the accepted etiquette in this situation? I find that acknowledging fellow cyclists coming in the opposite direction is still the norm in the sticks, but if I'm passing someone, it would seem rather smug to turn to my left and say "Morning" as I leave them behind. So I just keep my head down and carry on.

If you're the sort of person who likes to say "Morning" then say it. I think most cyclists realise that we all go at different speed so it doesn't seem smug to me. If a lycra clad carbon riding roadie passes me on my 8 speed nexus equipped, pannier carrying commuter I don't mind if they say "Morning".

I think the problem is more to do with region and number of cyclists. In the sticks there are few enough of us to make seeing another cyclist a novelty. Also it is a well known fact (to the rest of the country at least) that the near you get to London, the less sociable people become to strangers.
    Steve C
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I find most cyclist friendly, and give most a nod at least or a "morning"/"evening" as appropriate. Mostly this is done as I speed past them

I always acknowledge people, but as it's more rural for me there are only occasional cyclists to nod at.

Personally I find it ruder if someone passes me without any acknowledgement. I'm not expecting to become bestest cycling buddies or anything, but a simple "Hi" wouldn't go amiss.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I shall go back to saying hello, then, and shall not continue to be put off by the sneer I received the other week.

Not that I pass people very often anyhow.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Hot Orange wrote:
    I shall go back to saying hello, then, and shall not continue to be put off by the sneer I received the other week.

Not that I pass people very often anyhow.

for every 4 people that ignore you the one person that says hi back makes your day I find.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Extralight, I'm so please to hear that you are back on the bike. I had a decade away for various reasons, and, nearly five years on, I'm enjoying it more than ever.

I nod to a lot of cyclists, and usually get blanked. Not a problem. It was always like that. Look at old cycling magazines - there's been a letter about it regularly since forever.

The sheer numbers commuting these days in my area mean it would be impossible to acknowledge everyone, so I guess I cop out by acknowledging hardly anyone. :oops:

Out of town, though, I'll usually greet other riders.
    Riding on 531
  • Thanks for all the supportive comments - I really appreciate them.

Interestingly, the ride home was the opposite of this morning. The riding bit was agony as my ar5e was really bruised from the ride in! ':shock:' I winced at every grate, rut and bump! ':x' However, I got loads of nods, waves and hellos from others out on the road, which was great. ':P'

3 rest days now (I have to use the car Tues - Thurs to take my daughter to the child minder), so hopefully I'll have recovered for Friday's effort when I'm back on the bike once again!

I feel today's successful return justifies some investment in the form of new bike bits!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Extralight wrote:
    I feel today's successful return justifies some investment in the form of new bike bits!

You must be new here.... So welcome. What you actually meant was:
    Extralight wrote:
    I feel today's successful return justifies some investment in the form of a new bike!

At which point the entire internet will demand pictures... And so it goes.

(The welcome's genuine by the way, despite the sarcasm pervading the rest of my drivel)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • No new bike needed, as my frame despite being old is still pretty special and I love it (Merlin Extralight, surprise surprise), and there's no way I could afford or justify anything nearly as good now.

However, I definitely do need to make some changes, as it's still kitted out as my race bike from the 90s with Corsa CX tubs, and they're just not practical for commuting on! I figure a good set of clinchers will ride better than (relatively) cheap tubs, and be more economical. The problem is, I'm running Record 96 8 speed, so new wheels means switching to 10 or 11 speed, so a new rear mech and ergolevers are also needed. Suddenly things are looking expensive! The dilema is, do I fit affordable low end components ':?', or do I treat myself and the bike with Record or Chorus. I know the answer, but convincing my wife is another matter! ':wink:'
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Two possible solutions.

1) See if you can get a new wheel built up on the existing hubs at a local bike shop.

2) Show your wife a picture of something totally outrageous and make out it's either that or the Campag upgrades. It won't work, but you'll have fun trying... :twisted:
    Steve C
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Hot Orange wrote:
    ... but if I'm passing someone, it would seem rather smug to turn to my left and say "Morning" as I leave them behind. So I just keep my head down and carry on.

Yeah tricky indeed. If I do say 'hi' I try to sound puffed, as in 'I'm obviously going for it and you're just having a pleasant cruise in'. Not sure how that comes across. Saying 'hi' with a big grin and no sign of fatigue says the opposite. 'I'm not even trying and look, I'm overtaking you!'

Or raising my left hand and waving slightly but barely acknowledging works well (I thought so as some guy with enormous thighs cruised passed me on a hill a while back).

This evening I was keeping pace with but slightly behind a chap who I had last encountered on the Big Hill of my commute. Should I overtake? Should I draught?. That last time it had nearly ended up in a bunch sprint to the top. Tonight we ended up cycling side by side and chatting. Most pleasant.
  • Welcome back to the road, given I wear a face mask I don't bother unless stopped or I know them. Feck off sounds much like good morning when muffled :D but I take it down if stopped when I see a fellow clean racer or nice bike. I'll be seeing some of you on the road tomorrow! Game on.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    As others have alluded, I think it comes down somewhat to how much of a minority the particular sport is.
    Try attaching a kayak to your car roof and drive somewhere at the weekend, will get waves from most other cars with kayaks on the roof (sometimes from people without kayaks on the roof as well who I presume have just forgotten their boats.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I commute from the East End into central London each day and usually find I have a least one pleasant traffic light conversation each day. It depends who stops I suppose. Times have changed over my thirty odd years of commuting. I the seventies we were generally seen as eccentrics who were the targets of abuse from most motorists. Therefore we stuck together and chatted. These day with so many bikes and a more general acceptance by other road users that self protective collegiality is less needed.
  • Well done on your return, Extralight. Keep up witht the greetings, I found it was like a slow defrosting process. There was one commuter I always nodded to as I passed, it took them some time to return the greeting. There was one rider on a mountain bike who took even longer. Think of it this way, if they start passing on greetings to others the whole place would eventually seem friendlier.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.