Carbon frame & Thule 591? Will it damage frame?

amarita
amarita Posts: 19
edited September 2010 in MTB general
this may seem a stupid question :oops: but i've just taken delivery of my very lovely Giant XTC Alliance 0 which is a carbon mix frame and there's a sticker on the top tube saying not to clamp it as it may cause damage to the frame. I've got the Thule 591 carrying system and wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to whether my bike will be ok using this or am I gonna have to fork out for some other means to transport my bike :(
I'm due to go on hols tomorrow and really want to take my bike with me so any quick responses would be mucho appreciated :D

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I have an ally framed anthem x4 and definitely marked it by having the thule carier too tight

so I suppose the advice is, don't do it too tight
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • I was advised not use any clamp like bike carriers on my E120.

And I'm not going to take the risk.
  • If the manufacturer says don't clamp it do you really think you should follow advice to the contrary given online?

If you were to do it a but of pip insulation between the frame and clamp might help reduce the risk of over tightening. i.e tighten until the insulation compresses just enough to top the bike moving round.

My friend has a towbar mounted rack that clamps on the crank arms somehow, but that would mean getting a towbar if you haven't got one and a new rack

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • i've been googling this problem and seems like the thule 561 outride is the way forward as it locks onto the forks. Looks like the dog is gonna be getting squashed in the back of the car tomorrow as i've decided i'm not going to chance damaging the bike when i've not even ridden it yet :?
    Just a pity I didnt think of this beforehand and I would have been more prepared :(
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    amarita wrote:
    i've been googling this problem and seems like the thule 561 outride is the way forward as it locks onto the forks. Looks like the dog is gonna be getting squashed in the back of the car tomorrow as i've decided i'm not going to chance damaging the bike when i've not even ridden it yet :?
    Just a pity I didnt think of this beforehand and I would have been more prepared :(

I have that Thule, it does the job perfectly.

Where are you based ? i'm not using it for nearly 2 weeks.
  • unfortunately i'm in glasgow :( its only an hours journey where i'm going so shouldnt be too bad for the wee fella in the back :D
    Looks like i'll be flogging the 591 and opting for the 561 :D no way am I going to be leaving my lovely bike behind :D
  • amarita wrote:
    i've been googling this problem and seems like the thule 561 outride is the way forward as it locks onto the forks. Looks like the dog is gonna be getting squashed in the back of the car tomorrow as i've decided i'm not going to chance damaging the bike when i've not even ridden it yet :?

Wise choice. Probably the best way to have the convenience of a Thule rack while protecting the frame. If your forks have Maxle type through-axles, be sure to get the adapters as the 561 is usually made for the traditional QR type fork

I use 591's and yes they can mark frames, especially on the bottom part of the down tube. They won't "crimp" a frame as they just don't clamp tight enough to do that sort of damage.
    Some people are anal about their (alloy) frames being scratched, I am not, even so I still fitted Lizard Skins frame protectors where the frame makes contact with the 591 jaws
  • I use the 561 and it does the job superbly