Vuelta a España:Stage 16 "Spoiler"

2»

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I imagine the Euskaltel team orders for Nieve are basically "don't crash... for god sake don't crash."
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    afx237vi wrote:
    I imagine the Euskaltel team orders for Nieve are basically "don't crash... for god sake don't crash."

:D Seems to have the win sewn up....further back Liquigas still tearing along

Velits dropped
  • Kreuziger playing a blinder in shutting down the race.
    Velits finally cracked.
    I wish Frank would stop trying to break his neck, instead of the contenders.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom BB
    To me Roche looks like he's struggling now....done well to hold on for so long though!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Roches 6th place gone.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    Kreuziger is starting to look more comfortable than Niblet.
  • afx237vi
    Nibs cracks... too late though.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB wrote:
    To me Roche looks like he's struggling now....done well to hold on for so long though!

Apparently he's attacked :shock:

Nibali distanced too
  • afx237vi
    J-Rod in red by 40 or 50 seconds?
  • Tom BB
    Velits lost the best part of 2 mins to the top GC guys...
  • what a great last 10 km - the lead could have gone either way - has Frank left it all too late/
  • afx237vi
    J-Rod
    Nibs +33
    Mosquera +53
    Schleck +2'16"

Nibali back in red on Wednesday...
  • J Rod 33 seconds clear of Nibali in GC
  • Stage
    1 Nieve
    2 Schleck
    3 De Weert
    4 Rodriguez
    5 Sanchez
    6 Mosquera
    7 Garcia
    8 Roche
    9 Sastre
    10 Nibali

GC
    1 Rodriguez
    2 Nibali
    3 Mosquera
    4 Schleck
    5 Roche
    6 Velits
    7 Danieson
    8 Tondo
    9 Sastre
    10 Garcia
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Makes for an interesting TT on Wednesday
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    what a great last 10 km - the lead could have gone either way
    Very much so, great win for Nieve and gripping stuff!!
  • Tom BB
    Agreed, another great finish to a stage :D

Surely Schleck is to far behind given the time he's likely to lose on Wednesday? Very tight up front...hard to choose the winner atm!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2010
    With Schleck making a GC move and Velits finally cracking, it becomes a battle for the least lousiest time trialist title.
    Nibali should eat them all alive, but Frank could well slip into 3rd.

Oh and the biased Spanish camera work spoiled the finale, IMO.
    Tom BB wrote:
    Surely Schleck is to far behind given the time he's likely to lose on Wednesday? Very tight up front...hard to choose the winner atm!

Only to Nibali. The rest are even worse than Frank.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pokerface
    edited September 2010
    Was it Niballi that was leading a tour this year and totally threw it away on the final TT? Or another Liquigas rider? (Not a grand tour)

Edit: It was Gesink in the Tour de Suisse. Not a Liquigas rider at all!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Do Schleck and Sastre really hate each other then? As soon as Sastre caught Schleck instead of working together - where they were still going a decent 30km/h well worth having a wheel to follow - they just attacked each other after having some words.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Just took a look at the rest of the stages. There are just 5 climbs left, one on stage 19 and four on stage 20!
  • Pokerface
    Bernardus wrote:
    Just took a look at the rest of the stages. There are just 5 climbs left, one on stage 19 and four on stage 20!

Only stage 20 will make any difference
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Tom Danielson is 7th on GC...surprised? He's not too crap after all!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    What's Roche's TTing like? Any chance he can move up? I've missed a lot of stages lately thanks to the bloody US open dominating ES coverage :(
  • Hmm, funny how people were quick to shoot him down as a contender when I posted it in that thread. Not sure how he TTs, but he could move up a couple of places.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Pross wrote:
    What's Roche's TTing like? Any chance he can move up? I've missed a lot of stages lately thanks to the bloody US open dominating ES coverage :(

His TTing isn't too bad, but not enough to move up - Frank Scleck is 45 seconds ahead. What might happen though is Mosquera having a 'mare of a TT - (he lost ~ 3 mins over a shorter TT in last years Vuelta to Millar.) Its possible that Schleck and maybe even Roche may move ahead of Mosquera, though Mosquera could get that time back on Saturday.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221
    Hmm, funny how people were quick to shoot him down as a contender when I posted it in that thread. Not sure how he TTs, but he could move up a couple of places.

Who shot you down? I'm surprised if someone did as he had an excellent Tour. He really is an all round rider these days but probably needs to either get even better in the mountains or become a strong time triallist if he's going to turn good top 10 finishes into GT podiums. Having said that his climbing has improved hugely over the last couple of seasons so if he can continue that improvement....