Recommend me a rucksack for the commute (and running?)...

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Picked up a cheap-ish Karrimor from SportsDirect before the summer which I used for about two months before its chest strap gave up the ghost and since then I've been back on the PAC Messenger Bag which I had opted to give up before picking up the rucksack!

Now, I like the look of a messenger bag but it gives my back a bit of gip so...what I'm after is some recommendations? I tried on the Deuter Race EXP in Condor and it seemed pretty decent, but does anyone have any 'you have to get this one' recommendations?

It's only got to carry (at most) jeans, trainers, shirt, jumper and maybe a hand towel - so not really that much. Thinking of also picking up running again so it'd be handy if it could be used for that too but that's not the primary use so not too fussed if it doesn't tick that box.

Budget's not unlimited, but I'm not worried about spending that bit more if it's going to last me longer than the Karrimor did! Thanks in advance.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• I use a Deuter Aircomfort - incredibly comfortable and has lasted 2 years so far and still going strong
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Have a look at Osprey packs. They're not cheap, but they're damn good. I currently have a Raptor for day rides and commuting and an Atmos for hiking and they're both fantastic products. Something like the Talon might be suitable? If you want to have a look at one your best bets would probably be Snow & Rock or Ellis Brigham.
    Rules are for fools.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Most of the big brands do running/cycling specific rucksacks. More important is size and fit. I have a 25 litre Lowe Alpine Rush which is an adventure racing back pack. I use it for my daily cycle commute, but it's also used for long runs and a 100K trek in Hong Kong as it can hold up to 2 bladders. It hasn't got the best padding as it's built for lightness, but that's never been an issue. 25-30 litre should be about the right size for your gear.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    If you're looking for a messenger bag, I've got a Crumpler which still looks new after 5 years::

http://www.crumpler.co.uk/?page=categories

I think the modern equivalent of mine is the "Butterbaby"

Their advertising is *unique*, they are expensive, but they are truly brilliant bits of kit and have oodles of pockets for storing stuff.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    alpkit Gourdon, very cheap at £15 and robust.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Deuter everytime.
    If you can leave your shoes at work, the tiny 10L race exp is perfect.
    exercise.png
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Got a Camelbak Cloud Runner if you're interested, £20.

Only thing I've done is add a waist strap with a bit of stitching.

Very good cond, as I got about 6 packs.

No bladder though.
  • Anything by Deuter
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    dueter superbike. Built in rain cover for bag and cape for rider too. Best bag i have ever bought.
  • I'd highly recommend Osprey rucksacks....well worth the money.
    I've got a Talon 22 which I use pretty much everyday for commuting. have been doing so for about a year now and there's no signs of wear and tear yet. the straps are really comfortable whatever weight I put in the bag and you can get a water bladder to drop in the custom made back pocket that kept me hydrated in all that heat. a seriously good piece of kit. Osprey do various sizes, mine obviously a 22ltr would easily fit in what you say you're going to be carrying and the compression straps will stop it from rocking around - especially when running..... its pretty waterproof too...I've been in a few heavy downpours and all except once its been totally dry on the inside, just the once I got a few bits of paper damp in the top pocket. I now own a small dry bag (podsac) for my valuables which lives in the top pocket.

I've also got an Alpkit Gourdon 20 which I keep just for very rainly days...I would not want to use it daily as the straps are not that comfortable, and I'd definitely not use it for running. there's no padding on the waist belt at all. but, at £20 it's a steal for rainy days.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Another +1 for Deuter. My Bike 1 is absolutely brilliant.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Another Osprey recomendation, I am always suprised by just how robust they are, my bag just keeps on going, still looks new and takes a lot of abuse.

That said i've never tried deuter
  • Do you need a rucksack for running, or would a hydration belt do? If you can get away without a rucksack here, you can get away from using one on the bike. It was always drummed into me thay you shouldn't carry on you what you can carry on the bike. So, what I'd recommend is that you fit the bike with a pannier rack and buy a set of panniers. This is probably outside your intended budget but you should seriously consider it as you put less strain on your upper body.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • lastant
    Thanks for all the suggestions, as I said I've already tried the Deuter Race EXP on in Condor Cycles but will go and find an Osprey dealers to do a bit of a comparison.

Sirius631 - I do have a seatpost rack and bag that I used for my LEJOG but I tried that for a couple of commutes and didn't get on with it. Admittedly a pannier and rack solution would be better than that, but all I'm likely to be carrying is a change of clothes as shoes and shower bits are at work anyway. I think a rucksack (small!) would be ideal for this - and the reason I mentioned running is because I might start running to work on the odd day, so need to carry the change of clothes again.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'vce got a dakine nomad, decent carrying capacity, raised back for airflow and it's been robust in the 5 or so years I've been riding with it

if you're after a hydropak I'd say the camelbak one is a bit better but that's a very minor thing
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • lastant wrote:
    the reason I mentioned running is because I might start running to work on the odd da.

That's the way to the dark side. :wink: I sometimes go shopping with my panniers so they have proved more usefull than an rucksack.

Oh, before I forget. Take your Karrimor back to Sports Direct for a refund as failure within 2 months means it was not fit for purpose. If you don't they get away with selling cr*p and they won't understand that they are selling cr*p.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    As a cyclist and a runner, I can wholeheartedly recommend the OMM packs. They are super lightweight and sit really nicely on the back.
  • lastant
    Gussio wrote:
    As a cyclist and a runner, I can wholeheartedly recommend the OMM packs.

Gussio, which one have you got / would you recommend - The Last Drop one? That looks comparable to the Deuter Race EXP (although it also looks like the Deuter is more cycling specific...but also twenty quid more...gah, it's never easy!).
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    lastant wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    As a cyclist and a runner, I can wholeheartedly recommend the OMM packs.

Gussio, which one have you got / would you recommend?

The Classic Marathon 25L version http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/cl ... on25L.html Use it every day on the commute and it has proven large enough to carry everything that you need on a 2-day mountain marathon. eally can't praise it enough.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    These are great, made by Vaude.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012369

Mesh back, built in raincover and last for ages. There's a few different sizes if you need bigger.