Evans Great Missenden Sportive 12th Sep

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
Just wondering if anyone else got lost on this? Thought being organised by Evans they'd know a thing or too about this but the signs they used were about the size of a paperback and seem to have been stuck on anything at hand making it more of a treasure hunt than sportive course! Don't think the fact that there seemed to be a couple of other races criss-crossing the course helped either, making it impossible to follow anyone!

That said lovely day weather wise which much have been pretty long odds and got a new distance record in the process!!
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• alan14
    alan14 Posts: 149
    I didn't have any problem following the route and I thought the signage was good, but then again I had memorised the route the day before by writing the directions down from the gpx file and OS maps, so I didn't rely completely on looking out for the arrows. I'm familiar with most of the roads, except for those in the Great Missenden area and north of Wing/Wingrave. For those I used Google Street View to view the road junctions, so I knew what to look out for.

I thought it was a good route on well-surfaced and quiet roads with great scenery. The one exception was the very rough lane (Kings Lane) to Kingsash, which was very badly pot-holed and full of gravel. They could have avoided that and gone via The Lee instead.

Hi to Jon from Barnet with whom I rode most of the route, all the way from Holmer Green in fact. It was fun chatting to you and telling you what was coming next!

Overall I thought the whole organisation of the event was excellent from the car parking, signing on, rider briefing and signage.
  • Quite a few of the lanes were poor if you ask me, gravel seemed to be a standard feature on many of the stretches which is fine until your going downhill on a blind bend.

Agree re: registration,car parking etc, not so convinced about the signs though, Evans could invest in something a little more substantial I would think, when your rumbling along at 20mph you need a bit of notice before making a 90 degree turn!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......