Route, Liverpool to Rivington / Anglezark

Evert0n1
Evert0n1 Posts: 26
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know a decent route to Anglezark from Liverpool.

I've been through Wigan way, but to be honest it was a bit rough, if anyone has any idea's let me know

Ta

Comments

• wors
    wors Posts: 90
    On or off road?
  • On the Road
  • wors
    wors Posts: 90
    I'd head towards southport, across to croston to chorley then to rivington. I have ridden to Southport a few times, it's quite a nice ride.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You could go towards Ormskirk then through Lathom and up Parbold and straight on from there.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I've found I get a lot of sh1t from drivers on the dual carriageway between Southport and Preston (before you turn off towards Rufford/Croston) so I tend to avoid that way.

Get on the old Liverpool/Southport road from Maghull, NOT the A59 (Northway), then Halsall, Bescar, Burscough, Newburgh, Parbold, Parbold Hill, across the motorway to Standish, Haigh, Aspull, Blackrod, then under the motorway to Grimeford Village, across the dam to Rivington visitor centre. Have coffee.

Come home via Ashurst Beacon (Skem), then Lathom, Ormskirk, Melling, Old Roan, home.

A nice ride from my youth :)
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I've found I get a lot of sh1t from drivers on the dual carriageway between Southport and Preston (before you turn off towards Rufford/Croston) so I tend to avoid that way.
    You could always use the cycle path on either side, it's only a short stretch.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I've been meaning to get to rivington all year, closest i got was a loop of parbold and hunters hill.

where in liverpool you setting off from? If you get to maghull, ormskirk or even kirkby you get to parbold and then onwards along some nice country lanes.

heres a route from liverpool to rivington pike if you zoom in you can see where you turn off at 36 miles....it does involve parbold hill though

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 8420592665
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Maybe the Leeds Liverpool Canal is worth following as it passes through Chorley...Dont know how Attractive it is though from Liverpool to there
    jc
  • antfly wrote:
    I've found I get a lot of sh1t from drivers on the dual carriageway between Southport and Preston (before you turn off towards Rufford/Croston) so I tend to avoid that way.
    You could always use the cycle path on either side, it's only a short stretch.

Lots of thorns, glass and side-turnings that force a stop/look/give way.