British GT Winner

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited September 2010 in Pro race
I was thinking over the weekend about Sky's target in regard to a British TDF winner within 5 years from their start up. But do you think we will more likely see a British Giro or Vuelta winner within the next 4 years (Sky or not)?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Unlikely. It takes very special ability to do this.

That said if you took Wiggins from 2008 and plonked him into a less than hilly Vuelta, who knows? British fans needn't look to overall wins, Cavendish is doing the business already with his wins.
  • timturpinfleck
    timturpinfleck Posts: 59
    edited September 2010
    It's no point them thinking about a British winner if they can't even place a Brit in the top ten of their own tour.

Unfortunately, I can't realistically see a Brit winning a GT in the near future as we have no climbers. Kennaugh is tipped, but that is a ridiculous amount of pressure placed on him before he has even managed to complete a grand tour.
  • Well they need to be able to climb, and not seen a young cyclist from UK with the same climbing abilities as some of the non-UK prospects currently in the peloton to suggest any GT win in the next 5 years is a prospect.
  • Well they need to be able to climb, and not seen a young cyclist from UK with the same climbing abilities as some of the non-UK prospects currently in the peloton to suggest any GT win in the next 5 years is a prospect.

Dan Martin was our best climber and we managed to lose him.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, Martin is a case in point, crap on the track. But the system in the past was very track orientated and now things are changing.
  • We need another Robert Millar.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Yes, Martin is a case in point, crap on the track. But the system in the past was very track orientated and now things are changing.

I don't know if he had an injury or just didn't care enough, but I thought his Giro was very disappointing. If he wants to be a GT rider, you'd expect some (small) results.