Struggling with speed...

2»

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I agree with getting a cadence computer. Maintaining pedal speed cadence will help you up your average ride speed.

On your route (I have worked in Bexleyheath and Northfleet so know the area) your average is not bad and 17-18 would be a good standard. Its certainly not a flat route and was the first stage on the TdF a few years ago.

Have a chat with the local cycle clubs. Most will have grouped rides to suit your ability and you will probably find that the 15-17mph average group is the medium pace group. If you can average 15mph on your own, you will make 16+ in grouped rides.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Group riding with a club is the best way to improve speed.

I made big improvements when I started going to a club chain gang that was slightly too fast for me. Over the weeks I lasted longer and longer without getting dropped. The satisfaction of making it all the way round was immense! It's a great course for our Monday night chain gang, nice countryside laps finishing with a good climb, it's great for beginners though as there are numerous short cuts if you get dropped so you can join back on and try again...
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    amaferanga wrote:

He doesn't NEED to ride 1000 miles per month to improve! It would be very easy to ride 1000 miles/month and not get faster at all. Especially for a relatively new cyclist as they'd be knackered all the time so would spend most of the miles riding too easy.

I have to agree, I think that was a few cans of fosters speaking! Half the distance with a good effort would probably work. The thing is, it worked for me, in a month I went from averaging 14 to 19+ on a mountain bike with slicks, although I push myself as hard as I can on most rides mixing up cadences and getting a decent amount of protein in my diet, it does hurt but I like it. I also track and log most of my workouts with Endomondo which means I can keep tabs on progress and work on beating my personal bests.

I'd recommend Endomondo or something similar, it's certainly not all you need but it is really a good thing.

Peace :D
  • Well, I'm making a positive step and joining the beginners group at a club tonight so I'll see how I get on.

Think I'm going to treat myself to a turbo too so I can get the miles done in front of the tv too or while I'm being Super Dad in the evenings.

I've been tracking my rides with my Forerunner 405, thats where the map and elevation graph came from that I quoted earlier in the thread but I dont have a cadence sensor just yet. I guess what I should do is stick to a 20 mile route and just practice getting quicker and quicker at it. Mix it up with some intervals, some hill practice etc...

No doubt I'll get there in the end.
  • Well, just back from the beginners group club ride. Lovely people, made me very welcome indeed. Done a fairly hilly 20 mile ride and with the 5 miles there and back too, it was a good work out.

Unfortunately, have no idea how fast I was going as didnt press the bloody start button on my Forerunner 405 lol.

Will make sure I do when I go out again with them next Wednesday night.
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    Well, just back from the beginners group club ride. Lovely people, made me very welcome indeed. Done a fairly hilly 20 mile ride and with the 5 miles there and back too, it was a good work out.

Unfortunately, have no idea how fast I was going as didnt press the bloody start button on my Forerunner 405 lol.

Will make sure I do when I go out again with them next Wednesday night.

Good work! I'll be looking to do this soon :D
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    Well, just back from the beginners group club ride. Lovely people, made me very welcome indeed. Done a fairly hilly 20 mile ride and with the 5 miles there and back too, it was a good work out.

you've just underlined the point that it actually doesn't matter how fast you were going.....
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    DO you need to lose some weight?

No offence as clearly I don't know you but I've been cycling for about 3 years now and over the first two years I increased my average speed (over my regular route) from 13mph to 15.5 mph, but I was getting frustrated at the slow increase and couldn't seem to hit the 16 mph barrier no matter what I did.

This year I lost 7 pounds in weight and my avge speed has shot up to 17 mph this (my best over 25 miles this year has been 17.4 mph).

Worked for me and I feel I can go faster still with time :D

It's great to be .....
  • Hi there,

I started 2 months ago, also from MTB background. I found that I had exactly the same problem. But I joined the local club, 3 weeks ago, did a 40 mile social run and found my average was 19mph. Getting drafted along was great, and they were quite happy for me to lurk at the back.

I've had the garmin 705 for 2 weeks, and I've lifted my average cadence from 70 to 83. Got a long way to go, but it's made a massive difference.

Join the local club - it's given me the best rides of my life!
  • pjh, you're absolutely right. I've been hovering between 15-16 stone for a while now and it doesnt take rocket science to know that I'm overweight. I really do think that my diet is a major contributory factor and I'm going to make a conscious effort to sort it out.

Done another 30 mile training ride yesterday and my average moving speed was 14.3mph which I was quite chuffed with. I made a conscious effort to try and use the drops more as I've been spending 99% of my rides on the hoods and I think that made a real difference. Having said that, it may well have been to do with my change in approach to climbing too. One of the experts at the club meet last week suggested that when I climb, I get more upright, relax the arms, sit further back in the saddle. Getting up the climbs seems a lot easier doing it that way.
  • Ah, managed an average moving speed of 15mph over a 24 mile loop last night, so steadily progressing with a bit of confidence now. The sitting up relaxed approach to hills is the best bit of advice I've been given.
  • Hello.. For the past 5-6 weeks I've been cycling 15 mile curcits (a little hilly) about 4 times a week. Yesterday I timed myself and I averaged 14mph I was really dissapointed because I thought I was doing really well.

I'm new to cycling but really enjoying it.. but can't imagine ever averaging a speed of around 20mph :(
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Since you live in snowdonia I'd imagine your idea of 'a little hilly' is a bit steeper than most people's!
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Dave-M
    Dave-M Posts: 206
    JoMadog wrote:
    Hello.. For the past 5-6 weeks I've been cycling 15 mile curcits (a little hilly) about 4 times a week. Yesterday I timed myself and I averaged 14mph I was really dissapointed because I thought I was doing really well.

I'm new to cycling but really enjoying it.. but can't imagine ever averaging a speed of around 20mph :(

I've only really started this year, and used to say that all the time. However, i've done over 19mph ave (with proof!) but not hit 20 yet.

http://j.mp/cSkNKo

Keep at it and it will come!
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper
    2009 Quintana Roo Seduza
  • dmch2 wrote:
    Since you live in snowdonia I'd imagine your idea of 'a little hilly' is a bit steeper than most people's!

hehe that's what I keep telling myself.. :)