Lost my "Richmond Park in the Dark" virginity last

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
...night.

Had popped down to the Thames Festival, partook some food and music (and some of the best apple juice I'd ever had from a guy on Southwark bridge with a big masher) and then took a meandering 11pm ride back home through Victoria, KR, NKR Putney, and then into Richmond Park.

If you've not done RP in the dark, I'd seriously recommend it. I wasn't totally on my own, some trucks were setting up for the Triathlon near Roehampton Gate, but I rode up across the middle of the park and was on my own, silence, nothing but the hum of my tyres.

Not very very dark, but dark enough so the deer that scooted across my path looked like ethereal beings in my dim old cat eye front light.

Then down Ham gate, back through Richmond and onto home.

Isn't zipping through London of a fine dry windless evening on a nice bike one of the most delectable things to do on the face of this planet?

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    +1, I <3 Richmond Park. Being close to it was a criteria for my flat hunting recently.

I thought they closed it after dusk though, or is this only for cars?
  • prj45
    notsoblue wrote:

Yup, only for cars*. You can access the park via the pedestrian gates. Did take me a minute or so to work this out though.

*I think, don't think you're breaking any bye-laws if you use the carriage way after dusk, but you might be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Park#Access
  • It is good fun, definitely. Watch out for deer, bunnies, runners and the cull.

Especially the cull.

:shock:
  • prj45
    It is good fun, definitely. Watch out for deer, bunnies, runners and the cull.

Especially the cull.

:shock:

Yeah, I wouldn't really want to be in there moving at about [edit 20 mph!] with guys with night vision high powered rifles looking for things running away from them to shoot at.

Highly illegal to go in there when they're actually culling though, by order of the Secretary of State.
  • notsoblue
    prj45 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Yup, only for cars*. You can access the park via the pedestrian gates. Did take me a minute or so to work this out though.

*I think, don't think you're breaking any bye-laws if you use the carriage way after dusk, but you might be.

Ah thats good to know, cheers.

Actually, on a side note, I was thinking the other day that the new road surface actually turned out to be alright. After the initial shock, it appears to have settled down fine...
  • notsoblue wrote:
    prj45 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Ah thats good to know, cheers.

Actually, on a side note, I was thinking the other day that the new road surface actually turned out to be alright. After the initial shock, it appears to have settled down fine...

I go though Bushy Park at all sorts of times, bar the cull it's fine. though do need lights with some kick to them as they are as dark as london gets.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    They lock all the pedestrian and road gates when the cull is on, just in case people ignore the big warning signs.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rml380z wrote:
    They lock all the pedestrian and road gates when the cull is on, just in case people ignore the big warning signs.

Ture, but the ped and road gates are locked at different times. I think the road gates are locked at about 5.30 during the cull and the ped gates at about 8. Not sure about the exact times, but it's a big difference.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    RP at night is the best thing in London. Mainly cause it's like not being in London, but y'know...

No access during the cull, natch. But I wouldn't want to be there.

RP at night is good because you get some decent riding without the ever-present motorists heckling. And, generally, the fast lads who barge past aren't there (see also: cold weather/rain etc :wink: ). Peace, quiet, you & the animals. If it's a moonlit night, you can turn your lights off and just be part of the Park.
    Riding on 531
  • Rudd
    Rudd Posts: 264
    dont do what I did a couple of years ago! had a light but more of a flasher than a guide.........nearly missed two deer when over handlebars, 6 hours later emerged from A&E with broken elbow and ruined shoulder!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    notsoblue wrote:
    +1, I <3 Richmond Park. Being close to it was a criteria for my deer hunting recently.

Fixed that for you.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Clarion wrote:
    If it's a moonlit night, you can turn your lights off and just be part of the Park.

Was just about to say that - last time I went through there at night I didn't need lights - the moon was that bright!

Amazing.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    W1 wrote:
    Clarion wrote:
    If it's a moonlit night, you can turn your lights off and just be part of the Park.

Was just about to say that - last time I went through there at night I didn't need lights - the moon was that bright!

Amazing.

Excellent fun in the snow - it's even lighter then.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Clarion wrote:

Amazing.

Excellent fun in the snow - it's even lighter then.

Good point. Might have to make a plan for a winter midnigght loop.
  • So... given its allowable - what sort of lights are needed in that place given no street light assistance.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • So... given its allowable - what sort of lights are needed in that place given no street light assistance.

rear isn't much of a issue and blinky will do, but you'll need at very least a powerful front light, even then be wise to hold back on the downhills, the older stags can be close to 40 stone and they will come off better!

my fenix puts out a fair kick, but not sure it would have the spread for 20mph+ as I go though Bushy Park and a fair bit slower.
  • notsoblue
    Gussio wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    +1, I <3 Richmond Park. Being close to it was a criteria for my deer hunting recently.

Fixed that for you.

lol, a stag draped over the panniers on my commuter might look a bit incongruous...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    So... given its allowable - what sort of lights are needed in that place given no street light assistance.

rear isn't much of a issue and blinky will do, but you'll need at very least a powerful front light, even then be wise to hold back on the downhills, the older stags can be close to 40 stone and they will come off better!

my fenix puts out a fair kick, but not sure it would have the spread for 20mph+ as I go though Bushy Park and a fair bit slower.

I went for a set of Ayup Roadies. One lens pointed towards the road so that I can see what is going on and one pointed out front to spot the wildlife. Works well.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Inspired by this thread and refusing to sit in and poor bleach in my eyes and ears whilst watching x-factor I set out for a RP night ride.

Well worth it, had a Hope Vision 1 up front, did a great job, nice and quiet and plenty of wildlife. Spotted a few other bikes in the woods who saw me and tried to hide, I probably looked like a motorbike from a distance! :lol:

Although shamefully I didn't take any supplies and bonked 5 miles from home, cue the support car :roll:
  • prj45
    iPete wrote:
    Spotted a few other bikes in the woods who saw me and tried to hide, I probably looked like a motorbike from a distance! :lol:

Ah, the elusive bike doggers. They all wear Rapha you know.
  • notsoblue
    iPete wrote:
    Inspired by this thread and refusing to sit in and poor bleach in my eyes and ears whilst watching x-factor I set out for a RP night ride.

Well worth it, had a Hope Vision 1 up front, did a great job, nice and quiet and plenty of wildlife. Spotted a few other bikes in the woods who saw me and tried to hide, I probably looked like a motorbike from a distance! :lol:

Although shamefully I didn't take any supplies and bonked 5 miles from home, cue the support car :roll:

Nice one, its lovely isn't it? Did you hear the Stags?

Regarding lights though - Some cyclists head in there like they're equipped for a kangaroo hunt. They're practically as bright as a car on full beam and anyone passing them gets blinded. Bit OTT imo.