Cycle to work scheme - changing jobs?

razkaz
razkaz Posts: 13
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a bike for winter commutes and given that my work has opened the entries for the Cycle to work scheme again, I'm contemplating about whether to go for it.

The complication is that I'm looking to change job soon - do you know what will happen if I was to move? Would I have to proceed to paying the full price of the bike once I move? (please note, nothing is concrete at the moment - otherwise I prob would have joined in the next workplace :oops: )

Additionally, with the changes introduced by the HMRC, is it worthwhile going for the cycle to work scheme anymore?

Still balancing it all out - but tbh, there are some good deals about especially as stores are trying to get rid of 2010 stock :shock:

Thanks

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Our company deducts the amount owed from your final salary payment, so for instance if you've borrowed £1000 and paid 6 months, £500 will be deducted from your final salary. Not sure how they deal with FMV though.
    Steve C
  • Under the HMRC rules, any outstanding rental payments should be deducted from your final paycheque, but WITHOUT the tax advantage - that it deducted from your net pay, not gross pay. So if you were paying £70 a month and only noticing £50 a month short in your pay because of the tax, you'd miss x months * £70 rather than x months * £50. I think you still get the VAT saving, and I don't know how the Fair Market Value works under the new scheme if you leave early.
  • You can get a fair number of 2010 bikes at 20% discount at the moment. Worth investigating as an alternative to the C2W scheme I guess

You lose the tax benefit of the remaining monthly payments if you leave employment. You'd also have the additional discomfort of the final FMV payment.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    razkaz wrote:
    Additionally, with the changes introduced by the HMRC, is it worthwhile going for the cycle to work scheme anymore?
    No 'changes' have been made at all, HMRC have moved to tighten up on the flagrant tax evasion through companies selling bikes, after the agreement ends, at well below FMV, the rules remain exactly as before.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • razkaz wrote:
    No 'changes' have been made at all, HMRC have moved to tighten up on the flagrant tax evasion through companies selling bikes, after the agreement ends, at well below FMV, the rules remain exactly as before.

Simon

It was hardly "flagrant tax evasion". Final payment was not based on market value but based on the employee having already paid a chunk of cash for the bike but not full price, therefore encouraging more cycling. HMRC's "tightening up" has ruined the scheme which encouraged people out of their cars...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • razkaz wrote:

Simon

It was hardly "flagrant tax evasion". Final payment was not based on market value but based on the employee having already paid a chunk of cash for the bike but not full price, therefore encouraging more cycling. HMRC's "tightening up" has ruined the scheme which encouraged people out of their cars...

+1 I guess they could ask for the bike back, it is after all theirs until they offer and you opt to pay the FMVfigure.