Mount for HTC Desire

badlydrunkboy
badlydrunkboy Posts: 78
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I was wondering is anyone can recommend a decent mount for an HTC Desire? I'm not in a financial position to be be able to even consider a Garmin 305 let alone a higher model but i was under the impression my phone should be able to do almost everything i need. Just need a decent mount.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• mogi
    mogi Posts: 69
    dont know about a mount but i have downloaded cardio trainer for my htc and im well impressed with it.free as well
  • cool, i was gonna give runkeeper a go as i've heard very good things about it. Will bear cardio trainer in mind though.

Do you not use a mount?
  • Thought about using mine but you can't see the screen if it has bright sunlight on it. On a sunny day with it strapped to your stem it will be useless. Also not too keen on subjecting it to all that vibration.
  • Phones + Apps + GPS = Flat battery

I was out for 6h today
    My HTC Hero was down to 1% battery when I got home
    It was running the GPS and Cardiotrainer
    My Garmin 500 was at a lot more :)

And I didnt make any calls or even activate it to do any texts or surfing

I suspect the Desire has a better battery as thats how phones evolve however Id be wary of not having a usable phone when you need it if you regularly ride long distances - or off road

Cheers
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Thought about using mine but you can't see the screen if it has bright sunlight on it. On a sunny day with it strapped to your stem it will be useless. Also not too keen on subjecting it to all that vibration.

just as well we dont have that much sun!
    I like white bikes
  • My tracks is possibly the best app to use IMO.

To maintain battery life set it off then put it in airplane mode. It'll prolong your battery.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • The Desire hasn't got a great battery life but I've used Viewranger on it for six hours and still had plenty of power left.

The GPS on its own doesn't seem that power-hungry - apps' cpu use and any data download for maps seems more of an issue.

John
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 56
    edited September 2010
    I use google "my tracks" app on my HTC desire.

I did buy a cradle from eBay for about £5, but it broke on first use. I gave up looking for another one, as its hard to read the disply in sunlight whilst cycling along, and was too much of a distration.

I now just stick it in my pocket, and let it record the journey, and upload the file to google maps when I get home to check the stats.
    Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
    Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
    Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
    Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • thanks guys. anyone recommend a mount though?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    does the htc desire give turn by turn voice directions??
  • redvision wrote:
    does the htc desire give turn by turn voice directions??

If you use google navigation it does.
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • You can also look at Softrace too for the Desire, I have it but not given it a good testing yet but does have some very good things in it.
  • thanks guys. anyone recommend a mount though?

The closest I've found is this:

http://www.fommy.co.uk/view-full-page.asp?divid=HTC&model=HTC+Desire&cat=Vehicle+Mounts&skuno=88196

but it still needs a cable tie round the top to be secure as I don't think the top clip is strong enough on its own (and I would recommend fitting a tether between it and your bars as well).

I contacted Amzer about this and they said to keep an eye on their website as they were working on it.

The bracket is just big enough to fit 31.8 bars.

I've heard of this being used but haven't tried it myself

http://www.dahon.com/accessories/2010/biologic-bike-mount-iphone

John
  • A friend got one for his HTC HD2 which seemed to work fine and will try to find out were he got as I would think the seller would have them for the Desire too.
  • cheers guys.
  • The one from fommy.co.uk looks very similar to the design of holder I bought from eBay. You would definitely need something else to secure the phone in place, plus the plastic was fairly low grade and snapped very easily.

Note the point i made in my earlier post - using the Desire for navigation is very difficult in sunlight, and setting the display to maximum brightness would kill the battery. My experience was such that I would suggest you seriously consider just putting the phone in my pocket, and stopping if you need to refer to the satnav for directions. You could always plug in headphones to listen to the directions.
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • Ahh, i can see that that would actually be a massive issue as the screen is useless in the sunlight. might have to save up for that 305 afterall :cry:
  • i have a HD2 and Herbert Richer is your brand for mounts.

however, the previous comments about sunlight and poor battery life are all very true. I use Sportypal and Memory-Map on mine
  • anyone had any experience of any of the computers off cycle-clothing.co.uk? They have a wireless one on there for about £40 with HRM.

I've seen people on here recommend their clothes so was wondering if the computer was worth bothering with.
  • This is one i found, although it does ship from HK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

This one looks quite a low profile one and a UK seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIKE-BICYCLE-SECU ... 2309e6be88

I'm gonna order one of these to see what it's like.