Katusha

endurancemiles
endurancemiles Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in Pro race
I bet I'm not the only one impressed with the performance of Joaquim Rodrigues at the Vuelta. The guy's strong and can punch hard on the hardest climbs.

Just hope he doesn't get busted soon... right?

Take care,
Gus

Comments

• He rode for years under the shadow of Valv.Piti, now he's got a team built around him he's proving his potential
  • I dont think that is what is being alluded too, but I am not going to be cynical he is riding well.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I dont think that is what is being alluded too, but I am not going to be cynical he is riding well.

Likewise, J Rod is not 'over performing' IMO, he's a grafter and riding at the edge of his limits and it's great to see.
  • He's a classy rider whether he's on the stuff or not. This sort of performance has been coming for a long while now.

Riding well!
    Don't rake up my mistakes, i know exactly what they are.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    This is entirely what you expect from J Rod.

I raised one, and only a little, eyebrow at Anton, not J rod.
  • sonny73

I would equate your first line to Anton too based on his early season form.
  • I bet I'm not the only one impressed with the performance of Joaquim Rodrigues at the Vuelta. The guy's strong and can punch hard on the hardest climbs.

Just hope he doesn't get busted soon... right?

Take care,
    Gus

Probably before making such a "statements" you should take a look at his past results.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... iderid=119

Lemme help you;

10° Paris Nice
    9° Vuelta al Pais Vasco

8° Amstel
    8° Fleche
    8° Lliegi
    6° Vuelta a Espana
    6° Words RR

2° Liegi
    7° Vuelta a Espana
    3° Worlds RR
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    So he's been on the stuff a while then? ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Sonny73 wrote:

Not really. I know I have a bias on the classics, but his palmares and prior form over the years doesn't put him in the same league as J Rod on the super steep stuff.

Up untill this Vuelta, a stupidly steep not super long climb was, as far as I was concerned anyway, pretty much a sure fire for J Rod (or possibly Di Luca...errr).

Look, before I look like I've got the knives out, I'm quite happy to be convinced he's doing it the correct way.

I'm quite well informed with cycling and Anton's never really come up on my radar as someone who can beat JRod on his own terrain. It may just be ignorance on my part.
  • sonny73
    Sonny73 wrote:

Not really. I know I have a bias on the classics, but his palmares and prior form over the years doesn't put him in the same league as J Rod on the super steep stuff.

Up untill this Vuelta, a stupidly steep not super long climb was, as far as I was concerned anyway, pretty much a sure fire for J Rod (or possibly Di Luca...errr).

Look, before I look like I've got the knives out, I'm quite happy to be convinced he's doing it the correct way.

I'm quite well informed with cycling and Anton's never really come up on my radar as someone who can beat JRod on his own terrain. It may just be ignorance on my part.
    I totally see what you are saying with J Rod in comparison, I do agree they do not compare historically. I just personally felt Anton's form this year prior to the Vuelta meant his performance wasn’t 'over' surprising, is how I intended it :D
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Sonny73 wrote:

He's already won mountain stages in Spain in 2006, Romandy in 2007 and Switzerland in 2008 and he was sticking with Contador and valv.piti in 2008 before falling off, so he's not a particularly shoddy climber. He has also beaten JRod several times on the mountains.

Don't forget that he's coming into his peak now at the age of 27.

Maybe if he stops crashing out you'll have good reason to start getting suspicious. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

He's already won mountain stages in Spain in 2006, Romandy in 2007 and Switzerland in 2008 and he was sticking with Contador and valv.piti in 2008 before falling off, so he's not a particularly shoddy climber. He has also beaten JRod several times on the mountains.

Don't forget that he's coming into his peak now at the age of 27.

Maybe if he stops crashing out you'll have good reason to start getting suspicious. :wink:
    I'll claim ignorance then. It's less libelness anyway.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There's no particular rumour to suggest anything suspicious here. If you are surprised by Rodriguez's progression, then what do you make of Roche?

(no, I'm not pointing the finger at Roche, I'm just suggesting that finger pointing is a fast way to get into nonsense)

The answer is to stick to the facts and perhaps to discuss rumours but simply being surprised by a rider's gradual progression is not good enough, unless you want to bring analytical weight here, such as sudden changes in power output.