Folding Clothes For Commute

D(i)rT
D(i)rT Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all, I will be starting a new job next week which I will be able to commute by bike to. Last time I commuted regularly by bike (over 15 years ago I think!) my appearance at work didn't matter so just squishing clothes into a bag was fine, now though I need to look like I know how to handle an iron. So does anyone have any tips of the best way to pack/roll/bundle clothes for hauling to work in the panniers?

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Drive in once a week and leave work clothes at your work? Alternatively rolling is better than folding.
    Steve C
  • I use this:

webpicks_039_sml0202.jpg
    Hangersuitfolded007_sml.jpg

http://www.highson.com/

And it works well, sweaty back excepted. I'm about to switch to a Brompton however, and may try an Eagle Creek Folder to sit in the pannier. We'll see.

41068-PL.jpg

http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_solut ... -15-41068/
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would say that rolling may result in lower volume, but if you fold, you get creases in regular places so it looks neater when unfolded.

T-shirt
    Shirts. I don't bother with the bags she uses, but the technique is about right.
    You should be able to work out trousers for yourself, it ain't hard. Underdungers and socks don't need folding.
    Put your shoes in a shoe bag to stop the main bag getting dirty and dirtying your clothes and you are away.

If you don't/can't drive in once a week to take a weeks worth of clothes in, I take everything in on Monday and accept it'll be a slow ride. Every day during the week I take the shirt I wore home.

Good luck with the new job and welcome to the forum.
    A little friendly advice: Steer clear of helmet, RLJ, hybrid, and drop bar threads. They only go round in circles.

The same probably goes for any threads started by DonDaddyD.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Thanks for the replies. I like the look of the Pack-It-Folder, it looks a good option to haul in a weeks worth of shirts one day a week.

Cheer.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Dependent on office circumstances (and your suit/shoes ownership) many people leave suits and shoes at work, carrying in shirts/undygruts/socks as needed. Therefore the shirt is the trickiest element.

Top tip?

Have an extra spare set of undies and socks at the office........... if you don't, you might have to go commando for the day -- err, so I've heared :oops:

(actually, no socks is worse - it's more uncomfortable than commando)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Any tips on how to fold bib shorts?
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Just to add to the thread, I use an Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder 15 daily. I only take one pair of trousers and a shirt (plus odds and sods), but it works really well, fits in my pannier or large rucksack.

Highly recommended and stops my laptop, and stuff converting nicely ironed clothes into a heap of creases.

Rufus.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Roll your clothes, much better. i can fit more in my carradice saddle bag if i roll.
  • PBo wrote:
    Dependent on office circumstances (and your suit/shoes ownership) many people leave suits and shoes at work, carrying in shirts/undygruts/socks as needed. Therefore the shirt is the trickiest element.
    +1

re the shirt - iron at home , roll them up. When at work hold the cuffs and bottom and put the neck under a hand drier for a couple of runs.

re suit trousers - have two and use a nearby dry cleaners

i take new socks/pants/shirts into work on monday morning and take oldies home on monday evening leaving me bag free for the remaining days
  • I have been using this shirt case for a year or so. It works well and keeps shits in good condition in a pannier

http://www.smartpack.co.uk/SmartPack-Tr ... tPack.aspx
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    a) leave suit at work - I have 2 suits in office
    b) take in 7-10 shirts and get them dry cleaned near the office - do same with suit
    c) leave a pair of shoes in office
    d) take in underwear daily/ weekly.
    e) I take towels home weekly to be washed

And Bob's your uncle - or is he just the bloke who is your mother's latest friend
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Go with the roll , hope you can get a shower and Welcome!!
  • Oh god its so annoying isn't it, I hate having to plan what to wear super early in the morning!
    I did try and wear my work clothes and kind of cycle a bit slow, but my ride is like 40 m inutes longs and in the summer I got really hot. I'm not so good at the packing as I have a job kind of like you used to where it didn't matter if I had squashed clothes!
    However I hate getting sweaty and not having a shower, so I got some really good Endura clothing bits recently that have worked a treat. I was always a bit of a naysayer about proper cycling gear and didn't think I needed it, but it is great. Keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I got mine from my local shop, Primera. They've got a sale on at the mo too, you just use the code ENDURA-10 at the checkout. I'm based in the UK but am sure they ship internationally. Definitely worth a look though. the website is http://www.primera-sports.com/
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The key is to 'roll' when you can't get away with a fold..............

OK Suit Jacket will need to live in the office - trousers can to for a week..... carefull packing......

Shirts..... wash, and let dry over a flat surface - i.e. the stairs bannister - no need to iron... fold carefully in morning and pack...go....... easy............ return how you like, wash with cycling kit and bits, dry as above and go..............
  • I also roll my cloths, in this sequence:
    underwear and towel in the middle, then the trouser and the shirt outside. A plastic bag to keep everything together in a backpack.
  • Nice tips on the rolling. Do you guys put your stuff in a backpack? I find them super hard to cycle with. I know you're all probably hardcore mountain bikers, but has anyone had any experience with using panniers or racks at the back? any recommendations?
  • Have you tried the ultimate non-iron shirts from M&S? I use them and they work great...
  • nikstar1 wrote:
    Nice tips on the rolling. Do you guys put your stuff in a backpack? I find them super hard to cycle with. I know you're all probably hardcore mountain bikers, but has anyone had any experience with using panniers or racks at the back? any recommendations?

See other thread re backpacks. You'll find the latest backpacks are very well designed nowadays.

I find I only need to use my backpack once a week.

The other days I use the 3 jersey pockets for windstopper, overshoes, wallet, smartphone, cap, pager, keys etc

Puncture repair kit, levers and multi-tool go in the BBB "bottle" in the bottle cage
  • fatherted

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it for sure. just hate that sweaty back feeling you get from a backpack haha!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    nikstar1 wrote:
    Nice tips on the rolling. Do you guys put your stuff in a backpack? I find them super hard to cycle with. I know you're all probably hardcore mountain bikers, but has anyone had any experience with using panniers or racks at the back? any recommendations?

Wash your mouth out! Road bikes for riding on the road, mountain bikes for riding in the mountains. The clue is in the name.

I use a Rockrider rucksack from Decathlon (similar to this. Big enough for carrying clothes to work, comfortable and can take a couple of bladders for long weekend rides.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Haha! point taken! That rucksack looks good, I love decathlon so may check it out next time I'm near one. thanks for the tips!
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    If you search on the "videojug" website, there's a handy clip there.

If you do it right you get an imaculate shirt. Any slight creases fall out after 20 mins or so (esp after a hot shower).
  • I've been commuting on a hybrid MTB with a backpack for the last 4 years. I use a Deuter AC Lite which has a mesh panel that keeps the pack away from my non-sweaty back. I have the 15l version which I roll up a shirt and undies, trousers, micro-fibre towel and shower gel.

I know many people on the forum don't like them but I honestly don't notice my pack and I have a 45km each way commute!

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/all/ ... te_16/112/

Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
  • ah yes thats pretty good in the specs they actually talk about back ventilation, so they clearly know that sweaty back is a problem!! thanks for the link
  • I do 6.5mile each way and use a backpack with supposed air flow ventilation to stop sweaty back. It doesn't work nor does sure 48hr anti-perspiration protection but at least it stops me stinking!

And yes, I roll clothes rather than folding. For a shirt, do the buttons, fold in the sleeves, fold in the sides to the middle, fold down the middle, fold in half then roll from the bottom. POut in plastic bag so your back sweat doesn't get at it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • My technique has kept me looking just-ironed in the office for years:

With a shirt, I place it flat between two big sheets of plastic. The best thing to use is one of those big, clear, plastic covers from a dry cleaner cut into two pieces, but even two unused black binbags will do at a push. You then fold the shirt carefully - the plastic between the folds prevents them from creasing the shirt. I fold it down to sort of A4 size and place between the two sides of an old stiff cardboard A4 file I've split in two. This goes into a bag to make sure it all stays in place and then in any bag/pannier you choose (I just use a courier-type bag). I fold trousers/jumper without any plastic and pop them between the same folder sections. Socks/undercrackers and belt go in another small bag.

Advantages:
    No need to stock up on shirts every Monday
    Keeps any shirt - even cotton/linen - wrinkle free
    No messing bout with special bags or panniers
    Cheap – I've used the same old folder and plastic for years

Disadvantages:
    Take a few goes to get the folding method perfect
    It relies on having somewhere at work to leave shoes and jacket, as well as toiletries if you're showering at work.

I've done this method off and on for about 12 years and never, so far, turned up to work in Lycra without anything else to wear.
  • I have just brought this bag to market; has a full length suit holder inside; interested to know what you think www.slicks.cc
  • wow that looks impressive!
    good on you for finding a niche in the market and going for it. i like the look of the padding on the area that sits on your back. you definitely don't want a laptop or shoe digging into your back on your commute!
  • Riatsala wrote:
    It works well and keeps shits in good condition in a pannier

You keep them in a pannier? :shock:
  • +1 for SmartPak.

I also have suit commute but be warned, it is masive.
    Anyone want to buy it? It was just too big and awkward for me. Im not a big guy. But it does exactly as it says and very well. suit is never crinkled.
    I was using it as a pannier on my old bike with a bungie cord on the rack. worked pretty well.

I now leave a suit at work and just pack a daily shirt in SmartPak. I have the Overnight single shirt version which is a bit more hard case. Couldn't recommend it enough. Have carradice sqr slim on order to carry it.

PM me if you genuinely want to buy a suit commute. London based.

Cheers

Sandy