Any one out today

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Weathers looking a bit bleak but todays the only day I can get out. Will be at Swinley all day so hope it gets better after lunch.

Anyone have some good tips for a rainy/muddy ride? things to wear, extras to bring what to do etc... :D

Comments

• Off to Cannock a little later this afternoon to ride FtD. Tomorrow will be the Monkey Trail

Swinley used to be my [not so] local haunt and from experience know that it's an awful place to ride after lots of rain. It doesn't drain off very well at all, so you're stuck tacking deep, sticky and sometimes big puddles on some of the trails.
  • off for a mish to the bmx track :)
  • Off to Cannock a little later this afternoon to ride FtD. Tomorrow will be the Monkey Trail

Swinley used to be my [not so] local haunt and from experience know that it's an awful place to ride after lots of rain. It doesn't drain off very well at all, so you're stuck tacking deep, sticky and sometimes big puddles on some of the trails.

most of the trails have been surfaced and now cope really good in the rain, only saw about 3 puddles the whole day on the actual trails.
  • early start in the am and i'll guarantee nowt will have been surfaced and it'll be a mire in places
  • early start in the am and i'll guarantee nowt will have been surfaced and it'll be a mire in places

where you off to?
  • Edale-ish way, i think. finalise the battle plan on the way there.
  • I got out today, while playing cricket.

Caught at gully trying to late cut.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • n.battison wrote:
    I got out today, while playing cricket.

Caught at gully trying to late cut.

Avoided the Gully today, was swarmed by school kids that where actually good at jumping. Managed to get to the corkscrew area today what was a first and was very good until my rear hanger snapped :(
  • Had my first ride in a couple of week this morning, went out over the local heath, missed most of the rain but got quite muddy. At least my backed seemed alright
  • Did the Holme Valley MTB Challenge this morning. A very well organised yearly event of nearly 35 miles, taking in some cracking views and some steep climbs. Supported by 500 ish riders.
    :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Was planning on heading out today, but I found out my rear hub is totally borked. dammit.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I was out both yesterday and today, only 1.5hours each day, but pushing hard trying to get the fittness tweaked.

Will be training 5 days in gym/on MTB this week.
  • Went to Swinley for the first time today, sunny day and nice riding. Whats going on with that permit system there? I was a good boy and paid the money. Theres a sign-in sheet and it looked a bit sparse for the amount of bikes out there!

I live 25 miles from Swinley and would love to start out there and pick my way back home using as many trails as possible - anyone know a good link up from there to Tweseldown?
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Today's ride, cloudy weather, missed F1 race, and a bent rear derailleur on the uphill. :?

59081_125389310846496_100001262831242_152933_2330366_n.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Basically wasted the morning doing a favour for my brother but managed to get out for a quick blast in the afternoon, edited glentress highlights. Amazing how much ground you can cover in 2 and a half hours if you never stop :lol: Now I'm done in :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist