vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953

Comments

• vorsprung wrote:
    Make flapjacks instead!

Looks good, do they work??
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    I really like flapjacks for general riding, but when on a long ride when I'm trying to get a time, like a Sportive I use Energy bars.

When I pushing it and I shove in some FJ the oats absorb the remaining moisture from my mouth and subsequently find it difficult to get the FJ down. And then there's the risk of inhaling an oat, cue hacking and coughing and me slowing to a stop.

So now I chop up energy bars into approx 1cm x3cm strips, put them in a tribag on my top tube and snack every so often. They generally go down a lot better.

It's a shame 'cos the misses makes a very fine banana and cinnamon FJ, and most energy bars are pretty rank.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    vorsprung, I've been reading your comments about using Hammer's Endurolytes product. They've a comment in their FAQs stating that the powder tends to settle at the bottom of a bottle, so needs shaking before each swig:-
    http://www.hammernutritionuk.co.uk/faqs.php#faq_3

Now, I'd have expected it to be fully dissolved in solution, therefore surprised to see that faq. Care to comment?

cheers.
  • vorsprung
    rdt wrote:
    vorsprung, I've been reading your comments about using Hammer's Endurolytes product. They've a comment in their FAQs stating that the powder tends to settle at the bottom of a bottle, so needs shaking before each swig:-
    http://www.hammernutritionuk.co.uk/faqs.php#faq_3

Now, I'd have expected it to be fully dissolved in solution, therefore surprised to see that faq. Care to comment?

cheers.

I'd say that's probably true. If I top up the water and add more electrolyte powder and keep doing it all day, at the end of the day there is a teaspoon or two of grey sludge in the bottom of the bidon

I would guess it is something to do with the Calcium content

The Endurolytes stuff is good though, I'll be getting it again

The blog article that discusses electrolytes in the most detail is this
    http://audaxing.wordpress.com/2010/06/0 ... ngredient/
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    OK, thanks. Do you combine it with malto dextrin, or always just on its own in the water?
  • vorsprung
    Flambes wrote:
    I really like flapjacks for general riding, but when on a long ride when I'm trying to get a time, like a Sportive I use Energy bars.

When I pushing it and I shove in some FJ the oats absorb the remaining moisture from my mouth and subsequently find it difficult to get the FJ down. And then there's the risk of inhaling an oat, cue hacking and coughing and me slowing to a stop.

So now I chop up energy bars into approx 1cm x3cm strips, put them in a tribag on my top tube and snack every so often. They generally go down a lot better.

It's a shame 'cos the misses makes a very fine banana and cinnamon FJ, and most energy bars are pretty rank.

I chop the flapjacks into 2cmx2cm cubes so they are bite sized

I know what you mean about "oat inhalation" but my recipe should be about right for texture so that isn't a big problem

Banana and Cinnamon sounds gooooooooooood :)
  • vorsprung
    rdt wrote:
    OK, thanks. Do you combine it with malto dextrin, or always just on its own in the water?

sometimes I have it with a very small amount of maltodextrine and squash
    but the advantage of it is that it is just powder and it's easy to carry
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I remember my dad handing me some Blue Riband wafer bars before a race when I was a mere junior, for me to eat during the race. I took em and managed to force em down, ever so slightly dry!

Dont mind flapjacks though now.
  • I save the oat & fruit bars out of the ration packs I get issued for work. Very moist and packed full of carbs. And free.