Italian build finished - Old skool meets new

jamsop
jamsop Posts: 51
edited January 2011 in Road general
HI

Thought I would share my completed project

Frame - Vintage Campione in Columbus Steel
Custom respray - Baby Blue Enamal paint, White Panel, Italian Stripes, Decals, Red Lug lining, then fully lacquered
Chainset - Campagnolo Athena 11 Speed
Brakes - Campagnolo Athena Skeleton
Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium Elite - Chorus Cassette
Saddle - White Sella Italia Thoork (updated)
Seatpost - Vintage Campagnolo Aero
Stem - Vintage Cinelli Quill
Bars - Vintage Cinelli Track Bars

Comments

• rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Looks fantastic with the lug lining and the Athena chainset looks really good! :D
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    That's absolutely gorgeous!

Who did the paintwork?
  • +1 for who did the paintwork...lovely job

That is a seriously good looking bike. Well done that man. Whatever the Italian is for Chapeau...
  • Bella bici!
    Alex
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I threw away a Guichiotti steel frame last year, was a bit big and I couldn't afford to do it up.

Feel sorry now after seeing your great rig. Nice!
  • Thanks for the nice comments. The paint work is by Argos and has turned out better than I imagined.

Always wanted a bike like this since it's a unique one off with attention to detail and real character. Rides like a dream and so buttery smooth too.

I almost went down the route of classic gearing but would meant not riding it on club runs. :)
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Very, very nice! The paintwork is stunning. I think the Athena works well from an aesthetic angle. It looks "right" even though it's bang up to date. The wheels look a bit too modern (IMHO) & some tasty handbuilts would be my choice. That said, she's a stunner.
  • If I were you i'd get it helitaped to prevent the paint from chipping.

The enamel really isn't that tough from argos, and you'll be bummed if you chip it as it is stunning!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Brill paint job! Nice mate.
  • Argos ? did not see that in their catalogue :D
  • Nice. I'm seriously considering stripping down my Infinito Athena and swapping to a steel frame.

I'd have gone for silver Mavic Open Pro's on Ambrosio Zenith hubs on that build... those Ksyriums spoil the vintage mojo.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • jamsop
    Nice. I'm seriously considering stripping down my Infinito Athena and swapping to a steel frame.

I'd have gone for silver Mavic Open Pro's on Ambrosio Zenith hubs on that build... those Ksyriums spoil the vintage mojo.

Funny enough but I have these on order but will be using them in the summer with the nicer race tires.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    That's such a nice bike, well done! Good wheel choice too.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Nice looking bike!
  • Lovely. I really like the detail on the lugs, and the tan sidewalled tyres are well chosen! Nice work!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    thing of beauty!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Stunning. One of the best bikes I've seen on here!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • This is exactly, EXACTLY what I am hoping to do with my recently (yesterday!) aquired Harry Quinn 1965 frame. Sacrilege to some, I'm sure, but I want to build it up with modern parts to make it usable for club runs etc and was also looking at the Athena groupset also. I'm sold on it now.

Out of curiosity (I'm a total novice at this) are you using some sort of adapter to change from downtube shifters? Is that a standard part??

Magnificent bike, love it.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    themightyw wrote:
    Out of curiosity (I'm a total novice at this) are you using some sort of adapter to change from downtube shifters? Is that a standard part??

You just need to get a pair of downtube shifter fitting cable stops, Campag make them to match the ergolevers so they should be easy enough to get hold of. They just screw onto the shifter bosses in place of the levers and have cable adjusters on them. If your LBS don't have any then somewhere like St John Street Cycles should be able t o sell you a pair.
  • jamsop
    edited January 2011
    themightyw wrote:
    This is exactly, EXACTLY what I am hoping to do with my recently (yesterday!) aquired Harry Quinn 1965 frame. Sacrilege to some, I'm sure, but I want to build it up with modern parts to make it usable for club runs etc and was also looking at the Athena groupset also. I'm sold on it now.

Magnificent bike, love it.

Yes you need to get the down tube cable stops. I bought the wrong ones but looking to change these to the aluminum ones which I think looks better,

campycablestopsil.jpg

The main reason why I chose the Athena set was that it was in keeping with the bike as it was silver(silver levers were unavailable at time of build) together with the fact that I can use the bike on club runs. Restoring it back to 5/6 speed and thumb levers would kill me.

It's very mechanical compared to Shimano which I have on my other bikes. In a way it reminds me of a old gear gate shift on an old Ferrari. :lol:

Good luck with your build and let us know how you get on with your Harry Quinn! :D
  • Looks lovely......well done excellent job..............
  • Gorgeous bike, mate. Good job.
  • jamsop
    edited February 2011
    Thought I would share some updates as I have had a lot of people contacting me about my build.

Finally have handbuilt open pro wheels to replace the ksyrium elites which didn't look in keeping with my retro theme. Together with the Pro3 the ride is so much better, very supple and creamy with plenty of grip.

I didnt get on with the saddle or track bars so made a change to them too.

Still a couple of things to do to complete the bike like silver levers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Substitute 'Double Rainbow' for 'Your Bike'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    So close, so very close....It's the tyres, amberwall Veloflex's would be perfect. A Regal saddle would look the part too.

Still a fine lookin' machine!
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    sweet as a nut. Nice lining up of the writing on the gear cable outers... it's all in the details.