Boris bikes and cycle superhighways - your views needed

LondonAssembly
LondonAssembly Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
What do you think of the Barclays Cycle Hire scheme? Have you used one of the Mayor's Cycle Superhighways?

The London Assembly is conducting an early progress check to assess the initial impact of these new cycling schemes, looking at how any problems are being addressed and the potential for expansion and extension.

Please tell us your views by completing our short survey at http://www.london.gov.uk/assembly/cycling

Many thanks.

Comments

• Done. Added my thoughts. :D
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Done
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Well that was a waste of time :?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    654321 wrote:
    Well that was a waste of time :?

What did you expect to get out of it?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • 654321 wrote:

Why? Do you hold no worthwhile views?
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Done.

In short:
    - hways good as it forced them to resurface most of my commute
    - gobojo ok, but maybe the money could've been spent on more bike racks or even showers.
    - tfl website very poor

Both much better than I expected.
    exercise.png
  • WesternWay wrote:
    654321 wrote:

I have so many views on this I couldn't express them adequately in this questionaire. TFL have just failed to fulfill any of their promises from 12 months ago and the LCC recommendations were all just ignored.

Waste of bloody time!!

Pardon my French. - I think I'll write a sternly worded letter.
  • 654321 wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    654321 wrote:

I have so many views on this I couldn't express them adequately in this questionaire. TFL have just failed to fulfill any of their promises from 12 months ago and the LCC recommendations were all just ignored.

Waste of bloody time!!

Pardon my French. - I think I'll write a sternly worded letter.
    There was an email address on the above page if you want to provide a more free-form response.
    Alternatively you can email your views to Ross Jardine at ross.jardine@london.gov.uk.

Comments provided by 1 October will be used to inform the Transport Committee's public meeting on cycle schemes, taking place on 12 October. We will continue to gather views after this date to inform the committee's report.
    To be honest it sounds as though any questionnaire would have struggled to allow you to respond adequately.
  • I filled it in but felt like I was only able to answer the questions they wanted to hear and, while there was some room for comments, it felt like they wanted the public to tick their boxes for them rather than find out what we think. There's been a much wider range of points of view expressed here on various threads than they would be able to have gathered from the questionnaire.

''Does motorised traffic respect the blue lanes - yes or no?'' (I can't remember the exact wording.). The more reasoned response from my experience would be to say yes and no.

Same with the'' is it well signposted'' question - the same straight yes-no response - but my answer would be ''patchy'' or ''neither yes nor no.'' Or perhaps to say they're about 80% there.

Those two points could have been phrased to gather comments about improving what they've already achieved. But no, they stifled debate and contributions instead.
  • Those two points could have been phrased to gather comments about improving what they've already achieved. But no, they stifled debate and contributions instead.

Exactly - it's designed to produce a favourable response - there will be no changes as a result of this survey - cyclists should boycott it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Can't comment on the highways (not used) but have added approval for the hire bikes - although are they integrated with the Oyster scheme? Shame Boris has taken (undeserved) credit for the scheme.

My beef is about the old chestnut of allowing our other 2 wheeled chums in bus lanes. I am sick and tired of getting cut up and buzzed by nut jobs on bikes. And as for scooters...don't even start me...

It's just a hill. Get over it.