Slicky and Twitchy

Sigurd
Sigurd Posts: 38
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I commute on an old mountain bike (Dave Yates Diabolo, 1992) and have just changed the tyres from a Continental Travel Contact/Schwalbe Big Apple combination to Continental Ultra Gatorskin both front and rear.

As well as feeling noticeable quicker it seemed very twitchy to ride. Is this normal when fitting such a skinny tyre to a mountain bike?
1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    On my old mtb when I changed my mtb tyres to fatboys (really quite thin) it did become a lot twitchier. Didn't mind it though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • I've put fairly narrow ultra gatorskins on my Tricross, replacing the Specialized Borough Pro 700x32s that were on there. It is a lot quicker now but noticeably twitchier. Not too bad on dry roads but I find it a bit hairy in the wet...not that great since it is my wet/winter ride.

Will probably change back to something a bit wider and heavier and accept the reduced speed for a more stable ride in the wet.
    ===============================
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
    ===============================
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    coversely I found the gatorskins more stable than the ribmo's that they replaced