shock travel stupid question

madixon
madixon Posts: 6
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Excuse the stupid question but ....My bike has a 4" travel frame. The rear shock is a fox vanilla coil which has 500 x 2.3 written on it. I think the 500 relates to the strength of the spring and 2.3 seems to be the amount of travel the shock has. Why put a shock with only 2.3" travel on a bike designed for 4" ? Ta.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    leverage ratios.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Think of it like opening a really long pair of scissors. Your fingers (the shock) don't move as far as the ends of the blades (the wheel).
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know school has just restarted, but there seems to be a large influx of threads like this recently.
    What gives? :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Intelligent role models?

fifa10bababa580px.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    A bit harsh with some of the replies there guys, the OP did say it was a bit of a stupid question. It's probably one of those ones as soon as the answer was given the light bulb came on.

Doesn't seem like the worst question in the world, play nice!!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • I see there are some real t#ssers on this forum. Have you never heard of wearing your learning lightly ? Next time you ask a stupid question (no doubt it won't be regarding cycling or mathematics because you obviously excel at same, but maybe even you have a weaker topic or two) I hope you receive similarly childish replies.
    Ta to those who replied like grown ups.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit harsh really calling Nicklouse and Bails to$$£rs but maybe they will learn their lesson.
    It was a reasonable question, but had been answered by the time of late night silliness.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Steve_F wrote:
    A bit harsh with some of the replies there guys...
    Doesn't seem like the worst question in the world, play nice!!!
    madixon wrote:
    I see there are some real t#ssers on this forum. Have you never heard of wearing your learning lightly ? blah blah blah
    Oh WOW.
    You think that's harsh? Really?
    You're in for a treat.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Yoda-Flame-war-begun.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Anonymous
    I'm not even going to explain some of the reasons WHY a shorter travel shock is used now.
    fcuk you.

• Bout to say bit strong, even I was thinking how sarcastic can i be with out being to rude to this question :p

It was a bit week and i would expect a 13-14 year old to answer that in about 20 seconds but ok.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I'm not even going to explain some of the reasons WHY a shorter travel shock is used now.
    fcuk you.

Aw go on, it's one thing picking your ball up and going home but offering such a shiny ball like this and going home is just bang out of order.

I'm tellin yer mum! :lol:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Bout to say bit strong, even I was thinking how sarcastic can i be with out being to rude to this question :p

It was a bit week and i would expect a 13-14 year old to answer that in about 20 seconds but ok.

Grammar, punctuation, spelling and use of capital letters. You might want to get your own house in order before slating others. :wink: