What tyres for Aston Hill Chalky Mud?

jimmy23cricket
jimmy23cricket Posts: 59
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Howdy!
Having just enjoyed another great dry-ish summer down the hill, I return to the same age old question, what to ride on wet chalky mud?

I am currently running a 2.35 60a High Roller out back and a 2.35 Nevegal DTC out front at the lowest pressures possible and still skitter around llike i'm riding on ice.

Has anybody got some insider knowledge as what the best tyres to run are? (maybe someone form the South Downs as I know it's prety much the same stuff there, in fact anyone in the Chilterns!)

Is there a solution or do i need to just man up and get better?

Comments

• i ride there a lot and little grips on a combo of roots and chalk. Conti have a few good options just out or due though - black chilli compound / super tacky helps, the Kaiser DH tyre is really soft / slow rebound and the Rain King is a good one for wet DHs there. Otherwise the new Mud King black chilli look good, maybe cut down / worn a bit to help on the rootier bits.

Narrow-ish, spiky-ish and well spaced blocks work best. The new Mountain King tread looks promising too, like a thinner Rubber Queen, but i'm yet to try them this winter - only just thinking iof taking the Race Kings off..
  • Thanks for that james-o, i'll have a look at those