eyesight issues at night - what glasses to buy ??

hubba
hubba Posts: 238
edited September 2010 in MTB general
with MTB offroad XC rides & road rides being done, over the last six months it's become a larger issue of not being able to see things ahead of avoiding it, i mena like a small root at the wrong angle down a trail in the woods late in the night, i have good lights yet not sure if it's a shadow or a root and some rough terrain i sometimes don't see till the last minute and stuggle to avoid things.

i'm looking for a set of clear lense glasses which look like normal cycling glasses that can be or add to wtih inserts a perscription lens. what is out there and what's the price ranges ?

i have been into a highstreet glasses shop and they specified Addidas and Oakley, from having a look around the web another brand which may be a competitor is "rudy-project" which look good but not sure on there prices yet.. i'm not looking for a massive outlay in cost and i have someone who can make up lens for me if inserts etc if needed cheaper.

anyone shed any light or have feedback on which is better for there experiance ?, i'm open to trying new idea's but don't want to waste money buying somthing which may not suit or is not pratical..

i do day rides and night rides, but the days don't seem to be soo bad for seeing things yet best of both wrlds for me would be to have ppolarised lens so i can have clear and tinted all in one with a perscripton job done !!..

look forward to some advice on here :-)
Cube Sl Road for sale
wanted Steel or titanium Touring / audax / sportif frame or complete bike.

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Sounds like you need better lights - what have you currently got?
  • hubba
    i have a diy 1200lumens full beam headlight, 750 on dip beam, it's brighter than anyone's within the group ride, some have the deal extreme 900lumen and mine blows them away on dip beam !!..

i serious need perscription lens but not sure which glasses to get, i cycle in the woods a lot and there is a lot of holly, branches etc that i catch quite often on the googles or following a person in the group and get the whiplash from the person infron when following etc..

night time for me is definitly worse, datime is beter but still not ideal, i can get by in teh daytime but night am now suffering..
    Cube Sl Road for sale
  • For years I used Bolle glasses with spectacle inserts but they were always a pain in bad weather when they mist up. I looked at Oakleys but they seemed pricey, particularly when you want clear and shades. My optician suggested Ray Ban sun glasses which they then replaced the lenses with some plastic prescription photochromics. I have been using those for several years now & they are great. They are a style which 'wraps round' and fits close to the face.

Keith
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    I Had the same problem looked into getting glasses etc. Oakley's I was told only go upto 3+ so I couldn't have them. I now just have contact lenses for riding. 30 pairs cost me £35 my vision is no longer obscured and I can wear standard cycling sunglasses over the top. I took part in a free trial to begin with and have been fairly impressed with the recent improvements. There not as good as glasses but are great for cycling and other sports and you don't need to wear them all day. Something you might want to discuss with your optician though.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    forcutty wrote:
    There not as good as glasses ...

You're kidding right?

Once you get used to them I think that they are way better than glasses for all situations. I'm never going back that's for sure.
  • hubba
    thanks i'll look into the ray ban suggestion, that seems a way to go, i presume i can get tinted or mirror lens fitted and also a pair of clears too..

from the contact option is not an option for me, my eyesight is not more than 2.075 yet i have such a bad stigmatism that they don't supply any contact lens which fits my eye, i've been in three or four times over the last couple of years trying the "free trial" test to see if it settles down yet nothing and i'm back to square one.

yes i had been looking at bolle, oakley, rudy project and addidias yet the prices are really high in my eyes for what it is !..

ok so ray ban is an option i'll look into now, if anyone else has any suggestions more then welcome to look into it.
    Cube Sl Road for sale
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hmm, I used to use a toric lens for my astigmatism and tbh it never worked right, so I gave up and got plain lenses, does impair my vision a wee bit in some areas as the astigmatism's totally uncorrected but it still works where it counts.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • hubba
    ok just before i splash out too muchh dosh on this just ordered fron CRC a cheap rx insert in glasses set with three lens colours for £15, then i'll drop the rx insert to a local man i know who will whizz up some prescription set and i'll give it a go :-)..
    Cube Sl Road for sale
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Not sure what the fit is like over spec's, but having broken a few pairs of Oakleys over the years I now use Bolle safety glasses (loads on ebay), you can pick them up for between £3 & £7 a pair (inc P&P) and chuck them away when they get scratched. They come with all kinds of lenses.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • hubba
    oooh man, got these rx specs in the crc pair of glasses.. the first 1/2 hr - 1hr i was like a complete newbie on teh bike again, i mean i was leaning into headges, being a right numpty over roots and again kerb riding the trees in teh woods. it was not a nice feeling... also i felt like i was driving a go kart, i mean like a go kart but with hog motor cycle handlebars (like the hells angel full stretch type thing).

anyhow once the light dropped and it was nighttime felt much better.. daytime not so sure..

anyone else had this feeling ?..
    Cube Sl Road for sale
  • boyfriend wears Oakley flak jackets with Oakley prescription transmission lenses and really rates them. got them custom ordered from Steptoes (so he got to choose the colours of frames, rubber sock thingies etc) and think they came to about £180.

He uses them for pretty much everything and are incredibly useful as he does triathlon so the swim to bike transition made contacts under glasses impossible (getting kicked in the face during the open water swim is a regular occurence.)