Rinsed by a 4 year old....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
My beautiful 4 year old daughter, for some reason, has always called me by my christian name.....
However, as she goes into school, I have been trying to change this behaviour so that she calls me "dad"....

Conversation goes something like this, myself in living room and daughter in kitchen:

Daughter: "<my christian name> can you come and help me?"

*wander's through to the kitchen

Me: "You gotta start calling me dad"

Daughter "Okay <my christian name>"

Rinsed.....

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rinsed, who says rinsed anymore that's like so 1993 'star'
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You're just upset about the public sector thread :D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    <my christian name>

Hmm, I detect you're embarrassed by it. It's JaTavious, isn't it? :D

My son calls both my wife (his mum) and myself by our christian names. I reckon it's a sign of intelligence!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • gtvlusso
    Agent57 wrote:
    <my christian name>

Hmm, I detect you're embarrassed by it. It's JaTavious, isn't it? :D

My son calls both my wife (his mum) and myself by our christian names. I reckon it's a sign of intelligence!

Actually it is Tiberius.....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:lol:

Gonna find me a private sector job!

Seriously though, do you say 'rinsed' in real life? Are you originally from Clerkenwell or Shoreditch? Or doese it really take London slang 17yrs to reach your village?

:lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I remember it taking about a year for Tottenham slang to reach my cousins in Leyton, so 17 years to reach Bristol could be about right.

Wicked.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Seriously though, do you say 'rinsed' in real life? Are you originally from Clerkenwell or Shoreditch? Or doese it really take London slang 17yrs to reach your village?

I do not proclaim to know the origin of rinsed...but I first heard it as a kid in the '80's from a glaswegian uncle. It meant basically to beat someone in a fight by a very large margin.

As in...heh wee jimmy the weapon sure rinsed that guy naw?

Does it really take 10 years for glesga slang to make it down to london? I'd have thought with all the weej jakies in LT, that it would have been there much more quickly...

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    So I took my 16 year old nephew on a weekend ski trip and taught him to ski(he'd never been before). A couple of weekend trips later he's leaving poor old Uncle D way back up the hill(and I sort of like going fast). Rinsed, burned, showed up, punked, owned, or whatever, I'm suffering emotionaly right now. :wink::wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dennisn wrote:
    So I took my 16 year old nephew on a weekend ski trip and taught him to ski(he'd never been before). A couple of weekend trips later he's leaving poor old Uncle D way back up the hill(and I sort of like going fast). Rinsed, burned, showed up, punked, owned, or whatever, I'm suffering emotionaly right now. :wink::wink:

by a grom too...more effort required!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    I called my mum by her name until I went to school and everyone else called their mum mum so I started calling mine mum.

Won't be long, and then they learn swearing :(
    A biking runner :)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cee wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

by a grom too...more effort required!

I tried to keep up, I really did. I'm thinking it's because I'm no longer 16 or immortal. :oops: :oops:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Hrun wrote:

My other half is Swedish, and the kids are bilingual (though living in the UK). When my youngest was about 3, she started shouting the Swedish for "Bl***y idiot" whenever I took her anywhere in the car...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Hrun wrote:

My other half is Swedish, and the kids are bilingual (though living in the UK). When my youngest was about 3, she started shouting the Swedish for "Bl***y idiot" whenever I took her anywhere in the car...

my niece said yesterday "she knew where babies came from & then milk comes from your tits afterwards" infront of whole family
  • gtvlusso
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

It really does take 17 years......My sister-wife (a Hereford cow) told me to use it to look all Lundun and hip...

I feel I have let you down.... :-(
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Back on topic: carrot and stick for the whole "first name vs Dad" thing, Tiberius

Back off topic: apparently it's a Facebook thing. People are starting to use localised slang all over the country now. So you so-called sophisticates in London (that's you, DDD) are now using "Lush" which us knuckle-dragging Wurzels from Bristol treat as a bit of a joke. How very chic and modern of you :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.