Creaky cranks

W1
W1 Posts: 2,636
edited October 2010 in The workshop
I have a terrible creaking which I can only fathom must be coming from my cranks.

It's only under load - they spin freely and sliently with the chain off.

It's not my SPDs - all tightended and checked.

it's not the pedals - ditto

I've had a new drivetrain fitted (the only only bit is the rear derailler, but I don't think it's that).

I have a crank tool and have tried to work out how to remove them - the internet videos make it look easy but my bloody ones won't budge an inch.

Is it time to get all Clarkson and just use a hammer? Or am I missing something obvious?

Can I oil the cranks without removing them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Check the "stack bolts". The ones that hold the chainrings to the spider.

Cheers,
    W.
  • W1
    Check the "stack bolts". The ones that hold the chainrings to the spider.

Cheers,
    W.

Thanks, but they are as tight as a nut.

Only one front chainring.

I am sure it's the cranks, and I'm sure I'm doing something numpty in not being able to remove them with my crank tool. But they won't budge an inch.
  • Try taking the bolts off first?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • W1
    Try taking the bolts off first?
    I had to do that to get the crank tool in! But once it's screwed in properly it just won't budge.

I bet there's an obvious answer, but I think it's nearly Hammer Time.

[can't touch this]
  • Err, crankbolts that is...

My saddle squeaks! I remove and clean then regrease the rails where the clamp fits every 2 months or so, blooming annoying. Sounds like it's coming from the cranks, only squeaks when you're applying pressure on the pedals. Took me weeks to find the source of that one :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • W1
    Err, crankbolts that is...

My saddle squeaks! I remove and clean then regrease the rails where the clamp fits every 2 months or so, blooming annoying. Sounds like it's coming from the cranks, only squeaks when you're applying pressure on the pedals. Took me weeks to find the source of that one :)

Right, I'll look there next. I think I can "feel" grinding through the pedals, but I might just be imagining that. Also still makes the noise when standing on the pedals!
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    W1
    I'm assuming that you do NOT have a front mech on this bike (the mech can creak at the clamp when the frame flexes slightly under load) in which case I suggest that it is your bottom bracket although you do not say whether it is a cartridge type or external type BB.

If external type, is it the non-drive side (left) crank which seems to be creaking as this bearing is more open to the elements than the drive side and can be contaminated a little easier - replace or re-grease.

Also, make sure your chain is properly lubed (I know it sounds obvious!!) but a 'dry' chain can creak too.

It may not be any of these suggestions but it's something to check anyway.

Happy hunting..
  • W1
    gs3 wrote:
    W1
    I'm assuming that you do NOT have a front mech on this bike (the mech can creak at the clamp when the frame flexes slightly under load) in which case I suggest that it is your bottom bracket although you do not say whether it is a cartridge type or external type BB.

If external type, is it the non-drive side (left) crank which seems to be creaking as this bearing is more open to the elements than the drive side and can be contaminated a little easier - replace or re-grease.

Also, make sure your chain is properly lubed (I know it sounds obvious!!) but a 'dry' chain can creak too.

It may not be any of these suggestions but it's something to check anyway.

Happy hunting..

Many thanks.

Correct, no front mech.

It's a cartridge BB with a square taper. Any special way of getting the cranks off using a crank tool (except with a hammer to assist?) According to video guides they should just slide straight off. But I can't even get them loose!

Chain is well lubed!
  • Could be:

1. seatpost needs greasing
    2. saddle rails need greasing
    3. pedals (cleats, springs, axle) need attention
    4. chainring bolts
    5. chain
    6. crank arm

Unclip one foot and keep pedalling with the other. Does it still creak?
    Swap feet. Ditto
    Keep your arse off the saddle for a few minutes and honk away. Does it still creak?

No harm oiling chain, checking pedal spindles etc.

How to remove square taper cranks.

1. remove dust caps
    2. remove crank bolts (15mm socket / spanner)
    3. check that there's not a washer sat behind the bolt that is still on the crank face (I've done this before!)
    4. screw crank tool all the way in to the crank
    5. tighten the nut of the crank tool. Crank should come off without extreme brute force.

NB I had same problem at weekend. Turns out that the crank tool outer part (the bit that screws into the crank) was fully in the crank, but the inner part (the bit that presses against the BB axle) had tightened all the way in against the outer part, before it gave sufficient pressure to the BB.
    Solution: 2. Either try a different crank tool, or find a small nut and place next to the end of the BB axle so the tool arm doesn't have so far to screw in before making full contact.

Worked for me, anyhow. I was using the ParkTools BB tool ( the one with hte blue handle)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Great advice above. Work through that list.

Also, are you using the correct crank puller? There are two types commonly. It is possible that you have the larger type which is simply pushing against the crank rather than the BB axle.
  • W1
    Thanks all - will have a run through that list at the weekend if I get the chance....!

Think it might be time for BB replacement!
  • W1
    Thanks for all the advice.

Having checked pedals, cleats, saddle, chain etc etc I was convinced it was the bottom bracket. It may still be! However this morning (on the way to the bike shop to get it looked at!) it was silent as anything! No creaking or clicking! That might have something to do with the heavy rain last night (might have cleaned out the BB?) and I did adjust the saddle this morning (although the noise continued when I was out of the saddle, it could be possible that there was minor movement in the frame causing the seat post to creak even when out of the saddle?). Either way it's gone for now, although no doubt it will be back....
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice.

Having checked pedals, cleats, saddle, chain etc etc I was convinced it was the bottom bracket. It may still be! However this morning (on the way to the bike shop to get it looked at!) it was silent as anything! No creaking or clicking! That might have something to do with the heavy rain last night (might have cleaned out the BB?) and I did adjust the saddle this morning (although the noise continued when I was out of the saddle, it could be possible that there was minor movement in the frame causing the seat post to creak even when out of the saddle?). Either way it's gone for now, although no doubt it will be back....

....and it was.

After much head scratching I took it to Evans (who supplied and fitted the original SPD pedals. It was, in fact, the pedal bearings and Evans replaced them under warranty (they were just under a year old). No more clicking!

Thanks to all for the advice on here.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Which pedals are they? I have a feeling my SPD-SL Ultegra left-side pedal is shot.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."