Pictures please (Orange Patriot)

retrobike007
retrobike007 Posts: 215
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I am thinking of ditching my XC forks on my Orange Patriot for some big hitters, 888's or similar, does any one have any pics of Patriots with triple clamps on.

Ta :D

Comments

• shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    From a quick Go-ogle, here's one:

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/1784.jpg

If you're thinking of putting triple-clamp forks on a frame, you'll want to make sure they'll not raise the front end too much as this could seriously affect the way the bikes rides (steering in particular)

May also be worth checking with Orange whether the patriot frame is structurally strong enough for a triple-clamp fork...
  • shm_uk wrote:

May also be worth checking with Orange whether the patriot frame is structurally strong enough for a triple-clamp fork...

I thought Orange frames were stronger than a strong thing on a strong day?!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I think some versions of the Patriot took dual crowns happily wheras others didn't
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have seen loads of patriots with triple clamps forks....

I had a 04 patriot...it had a set of junior t's and a set of single crowns for xc riding....

my mate still rides his 01 global racing patriot with 888's...

As peter says though...a few of the patriots were much more xc oriented , while the others were more UKDH/Freeridey...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:

I had a 04 patriot...it had a set of junior t's and a set of single crowns for xc riding....

As peter says though...a few of the patriots were much more xc oriented , while the others were more UKDH/Freeridey...

Got any pictures of the 01 with the 888's?
  • cee
    cee wrote:

Got any pictures of the 01 with the 888's?

I will attempt to aquire some for you.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I ran my 03 with single crown Z150's. Your problem is you only have 6 inches of travel to play with so you have to find triple crowns with that - if you stick a 200mm fork on the front the thing is going to be a pig to ride and probably break on the first big hit.

Mine was (before I bought it) a UK DH riders race bike and for the southern series I understand he did ok so I'd suggest that for the most part you dont need triples on a Patriot.

Get a 222/3/4 if you want to go really big!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cee
    I ran my 03 with single crown Z150's. Your problem is you only have 6 inches of travel to play with so you have to find triple crowns with that - if you stick a 200mm fork on the front the thing is going to be a pig to ride and probably break on the first big hit.

Mine was (before I bought it) a UK DH riders race bike and for the southern series I understand he did ok so I'd suggest that for the most part you dont need triples on a Patriot.

Get a 222/3/4 if you want to go really big!

thats a reasonable point...it may have to be a lightly older triple clamp fork to get a suitable travel length....

mind you...as i say, my 04, I had 2 forks...some junior t's for DH and some sherman fireflys for everything else...the fireflys had a 20mm axel, so were probably every bit as stiff as the triples.......which only had a qr.

H.G. Wells.

• Get a 222/3/4 if you want to go really big!

Kind of defeats the point really, I have the frame and judt want to set it up as a freeride/DH bike, I am not looking to buy another bike.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Whats wrong with 66's or 36's? They're perfect for anything i've ridden.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    how about some lyriks or totems? i reckon 888s would make it ride quite bad