1 Year as a Serious Commuter

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Well, a year on from taking the commute seriously and switching to Tricross from slicked MTB.

I have become pretty addicted to cycling, feel bad if I miss a day on the commute.
Have achieved targets of 400, then 500, 600, 800 and last month 1,000 miles in a month. Have done some decent cycle tours, a couple of sportives, plenty of Mountain Biking and help organise a Meet up group of over 170 members.

I have lost 2 stone. Today I had to buy 32" trousers as my pevious normal 34" were falling off me.

The overshoes I bought last year I have problems closing them at the top as my calf muscles seem a little on the large side.

Not saved any money as I like nice bike stuff, and just bought a new MTB......

BUT, feel fantastic for it, met some great people and wanna do more!!!
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Congratulations! :D 1000 miles in a month is pretty impressive.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Second you on that one, its been a year since getting my bike & 7000 worthwhile miles later I'm looking forward to getting stuck into another Winter.

Oh and second you on the money saving front! :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's posts like this that make me wish I had a local job to commute to :(

Gratz on the mileage and weight loss.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I'm also at the year mark, and doing it on the cheap with bikes from ebay have saved money but I fear a new bike beckons, having had the BSO's back wheel fall apart on me last night.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Bloody hell, 1,000 miles a month is good going.

I'm aiming for 3,500 this year!
  • Great post. Well done.
  • suzyb wrote:

But you worked from home for ages, and copuld do whatever "commute" distance you fancied. 8)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:

But you worked from home for ages, and copuld do whatever "commute" distance you fancied. 8)
    True. But that can be a disadvantage as there is less separation of work and home. So when you go onto the computer at "home" you often end up just moving into "work" without leaving it.

Plus having to go to work would make me less inclined to be lazy and just stay in (my main problem this summer).
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Excellent Stuff!

A year ago I was busting out of 34" jeans; I've just had to order some 30" ones. I've only lost 4Kg in that time which is probably down the the increase in the size of my legs. I need to spend the winter in the gym to get my upper body up to scratch.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I started commuting the 8 miles or so to the station two years ago, mainly to save money on parking, but I was pretty half-hearted at first. I took lengthy winter breaks and was happy to have an excuse not to get on the bike. But then, when I got back on the bike once all the ice had disappeared early this year, something suddenly clicked and I've become obsessed. I ride to the station whenever possible now and have started taking different routes to make the journey longer. I've started spending hours on wiggle, basing all my clothes purchases with cycling in mind, taking in what you lot have to say on here, posting my miles on the stats page and generally thinking about bikes a lot.

Last night, my little bike computer, which I put on the bike just after I started commuting, ticked past 2,000 miles. I know many of you do that kind of distance in a couple of months, but it felt like a big achievement to me, especially as more than 1,000 of those miles have been done this year, and it made me happy.

I feel healthy and, even when I've been rubbish at work, I can look back on 20 miles done in a day and feel a sense of achievement. I can no longer imagine not wanting to get on the bike and my only regret is that I didn't start doing this years ago...
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • It's not just the affect on body, but also the mind. Big thumbs up for the effort, and I'm glad you're feeling good for it. Could you imagine going back to regular car use? /shudders

Using a bike to commute has so many plusses :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Just clicked past a year for me as well, I commuted by bike before but was erratic as I went to all sorts of places and would have weeks off.

But new job starts at the same place, winter was fine, my bike is very much not a racy number but I enjoy the commute, gets me fit and lovely though the parks.
  • Hot Orange wrote:
    my only regret is that I didn't start doing this years ago...

Welcome to my world!!! That is so true........

Sun is shining here, and I am going long way home!! 8) 30 miler when 7.6 would have done the trick.
  • You've been commuting seriously for a year? I suggest you relax and enjoy the ride :P