Good routes around Mendips/Somerset/Cheddar area

jackfeeder
jackfeeder Posts: 269
Hi,
anyone got some good routes around these areas?
Can't decide whether to enter the Bristol Belter or do a route that includes much of the same area?
Any suggestions of training rides/club runs you do? Be looking at quite a bit of climbing (1500-2500m) and 90/100 miles in length,
thanks,
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    jackfeeder wrote:
    Hi,
    anyone got some good routes around these areas?
    Can't decide whether to enter the Bristol Belter or do a route that includes much of the same area?
    Any suggestions of training rides/club runs you do? Be looking at quite a bit of climbing (1500-2500m) and 90/100 miles in length,
    thanks,

Where are you starting your ride from?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • HuwS
    HuwS Posts: 12
    Go on do the Belter.

I want to make sure I am not going round on my own :)
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    hi cheddar chalenge on 19th sept lots of climbs on the last 40 miles up through the gorge etc the first 60 miles reasonably flat but its a good sportive.the belter is simalar route but starts on the out skirts of bristol by ashton court then out towards portishead where i live.
    cheers
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Probably going to do the Belter now after reading about the route in the latest Cycling Plus - sounds great.
    There will be at least 3 of us doing it, whether we all stay together throughout the long route we'll have to see.
    After doing the Dragon and Tour of The Black Mountains I'm hoping this one will be a good one also - looking forward to climbing up Cheddar Gorge etc etc.
    Anyone know of possible numbers taking part?
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • HuwS
    HuwS Posts: 12
    Entry list now available on the Bristol Belter site:

http://www.bristolroadsportive.co.uk/2010%20Belter%20Rider%20List.xls

Looks to be around 150 ish so far
  • I did the Black Rat Challenge in May that covered the area pretty well. Here is a link to the map: http://www.bikemap.net/route/537417#

I've done the Cheddar Challenge twice and both times there was a huge peleton hanging on to some faster riders - including some from Pendragon - which made it quite fun but overall I don't think the first half of the course is very good - too many main roads.

The Bristol belter looks quite good otherwise.

What ever you do if you head to that area you will enjoy the riding. Just try and go up Cheddar, Burrington Combe and the Old Bristol Road out of Wells if you can - all good climbs.
    Winners never quit and quitters never win!!