Loud Hub.... maybe a strange request.

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
Ive suddenly got the urge to have a nice loud clicking freewheel sound from my rear hub.

I dont know why, but i really like the sound of it when i see others with loud hubs at my local trail centre.

So back to my question, which budget hubs are loud???

Ive currently got an old hope hub, which does sound like a quality clicking, but its nowhere near as loud as ive heard recently.

Comments

• halo supa drive are loud.

Superstar have said that one of their hubs is louder than Hope... not sure which though!
  • Just get a good DT Hub, it's not as loud as hope, but it's a quality, solid, well engineered sound, rather than a box of spanners sound.

Failing that, Tune have some loud hubs too.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Clean your Hope out, takes about 10 minutes, and then relube with a high quality machine oil. Will sound super loud.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So back to my question, which budget hubs are loud???

That's DT and Tune out then CWNT :-)

Superstar sounds like a good bet, generally loud = expensive, I9, Chris King etc.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Or just get a hub that works and concentrate on riding rather than what your hub sounds like.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Andy wrote:
    Or just get a hub that works and concentrate on riding rather than what your hub sounds like.
    Which, I find, is far easier with a silent hub than a loud one.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I like a clicky hub, I use that to guage my speed precisely for technical stuff.

You can make most hubs clicky.

Clear the grease out of the pawl chamber and switch to oil, the thinner the oil is the more often you will have to relube, but the louder it gets.

Finishline wet lube is a good middle ground.

Any dry lube for serious noise.

just make sure to regularily check your hub to see that the lube is covering the right surfaces and doing the right job.

This may increase hub wear, but I have never noticed.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • njee20
    I must say I've never really thought about my hub noise!
  • You want a chris king then take a look at the video :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zexHiuppug&feature=related[url][/url]
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Andy wrote:

Told you it was a wierd request.

But i do love the sound of a loud hub! :)

Superstar look a good bet actually!
  • *AJ* wrote:
    Andy wrote:

Told you it was a wierd request.

But i do love the sound of a loud hub! :)

Superstar look a good bet actually!

did you watch the vid bud lol
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    You want a chris king then take a look at the video :D

Jesus mary and joseph, I'd shart myself if I heard that coming up behind me on the trails :lol:
  • chedabob wrote:
    You want a chris king then take a look at the video :D

Jesus mary and joseph, I'd shart myself if I heard that coming up behind me on the trails :lol:

lol i know how loud are they.
  • njee20
    Quieter than a Pro 2 I reckon, and if freshly lubed and greased they're not all that loud at all.

I do worry about anyone who videos their freehub purely to put it on YouTube.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Put a card in your spokes? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I had the Chris King and tried it witha few oils, it just has an annoying buz, not a good click like the Hope.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    My DT Swiss hubs are pretty quiet. I like it that way.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Halo spin doctors make a fair noise :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Andy wrote:
    My DT Swiss hubs are pretty quiet. I like it that way.

Agreed, like I said earlier, it's a nice, well built sort of sound.
  • I have the superstar superleggera, first impressions are good, just need to see how they last through winter, but at £135 a pair if they can get me to next summer and bonus time I will be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_FFypiI1Ts
  • I think the loudest are Tune. The xx grey goose fellow on here with the super bling Cannondales has them and he posted a video where you could apprciate how loud they are. Here's one from Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iuPA8RNfAI

Personally, once you've had a nice loud hub you can't go back. Plus they remind me of my yoof when most bikes had a clicky freewheel
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Anonymous
    Personally, once you've had a nice loud hub you can't go back. Plus they remind me of my yoof when most bikes had a clicky freewheel
    I beg to differ. I rode a hope Bulb for a decade, and now I've grown so weary of it that I wouldn't consider another hope rear hub in future.
  • ...hence the use of the word "Personally"...
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Anonymous
    Ok. Calm down. just voicing my opinion.
  • Personally, once you've had a nice loud hub you can't go back. Plus they remind me of my yoof when most bikes had a clicky freewheel
    I beg to differ. I rode a hope Bulb for a decade, and now I've grown so weary of it that I wouldn't consider another hope rear hub in future.

i can think of better reasons to not have hope hubs.
  • Anonymous
    Such as?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Noisy hubs=

work.234718.12.fig,slate,mens,fbfbfb.look-at-moi-v3.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    WOW! The face in that T-shirt looks like it belongs to a Cool Rad Dude.
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Agree with Cooldad, that freaking noise kills enjoyment out of proper ride. Think of it, no thump from tyres over roots, no bang of suspension over jump, no shallow screetch before a crash? You better slap your face with that noisy hub and clickety damn your teeth, why no properly enjoy the ride how it should be? Think next time clickety rider should take I-pod and ride listening to a studio produced clicky-clicks some black runs just for variety of it.

Rant over.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though