Lake Como

mmuk
mmuk Posts: 398
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Am thinking of going to Lake Como area for a week or so next year - possibly early October (I know it's a long way off, but it gives me something to look forward to!)

A few questions!

will campsites be open that time of year?

what's the best airport to fly to?

and....

On our last trip to France we stayed in local hotel for the first and last nights, and they collected us from the airport and stored the bike bags for the week - does anyone know a local hotel that might do that for us in the Como area?

any advice appreciated!

MM

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Re Airports -

Malpensa is the big one but you have to transfer to Milan by bus (@ 45 mins) and back out again by train or bus (I think).

I have spent time in Bergamo which handles budget airlines and if I remember correctly, there is a direct train to Lecco, on Lake Como. The train station is only a 5 minute bus ride from the airport.

My memory is not what I'd like it to be though, so check up on this....................
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Milan Linate is also an option, not so good for budget airlines but when there is a bike involved fares tend to even out a little in my experience.

I ride there for a week every August (jammy b***ard with family out there) so if you need any ideas for routes I'm happy to help.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.mapmyride.com/find-ride/italy/como
    Have you seen this website..
    jc
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    thanks guys

leadballoon - I'll be in touch!

MM
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    For campsites (and hotels) google maps is extremely useful otherwise try

http://www.camping.it/

I'm in north east Italy at the moment. The weather has been pretty variable since the beginning of the month. The north of Italy can get bastard cold in October - I'd recommend September. In any event, pack for cold or wet weather.