Exposure Joystick

fatandwheezing
fatandwheezing Posts: 169
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Has anyone got one of these, how does it hold up in the rain?

Currently got a pair of cheaper cateyes that are fine for being seen but not great on unlit roads. Promised myself a good new light this winter, and depending on funds will buy one at the end of the month.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Comments

• I've got one. Been out in the rain a couple of times without issue, but no real test of it.

I used to have cateye as well.

I use it to go round Richmond Park in London at night in winter, which has no lights at all. It does light up the way, but is nothing compared to some of the mega-lights that come the other way that force me to pull over as i can't see a thing! Basically, it'll do, but compared to others (i don't really know about the mega-lights) i would say it's still most useful for being seen rather than lighting the way. It does the job, but you can certainly get brighter (think they may cost a bundle)
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • Have seen brighter lights, but their heading to way over £200.

The new Joystick seems to have upped the brightness from 240 to 300, though I'm not sure what that really means in the real world.
  • I have an exposure joystick - good light, used it in the wild northamptonshire countryside last year and had no issues with seeing my way, did not have to travel slower to be able to see the road ahead.

TBH I don't know what timmyflash is on about, these lights do the job perfectly on unlit countryside roads.

Burn time on full power c 1.5 hours - so if you plan on being out for longer than that a piggy back battery would be in order.

Good value for the price and a British company.
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    1.5 hours? It should be 3 hours on Max, ( or 10 on Medium, 24 on Low). 'tis what I get from mine, easily.
  • :lol: Keep reading this title and it sound like "expose your joystick"!
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    They are decent but there's much cheaper lights that will do the same thing. e.g. Cree torches. Have a peek in the MTB forums....
  • White Line wrote:
    :lol: Keep reading this title and it sound like "expose your joystick"!
    :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yup - look at the P7 lights that dealextreme knock out. Cheaper and brighter.
  • 900 lumens (more like 750) for 45 quid... Get a honk kong dx special!
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    Mine got a rahter good soaking 2 weeks ago.... 2 hours of really heavy rain.

and it worked flawlessly.. :)

worth evey penny..

Dave.

PS on and its designed and manufactured in the UK.. so doing my bit to aid the recovery :)
  • Had one a few years - good quality but I don't get 3 hours (never have) out of it on max and for my money it's not bright enough for anything but slow paced riding on dark roads.

I use it alongside a P7 torch attacked with a lockblock - basically as a backup in case the P7 gives up.

Basically if it was twice the lumens the Joystick would be a great light - mine sounds like it's a 240 lumen job so the new ones sound a bit better.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I've just ordered one of these, I'll let you know if it arrives!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 431wt_1137
  • It's arrived and is plenty bright, though I did have to order batteries and charger separately and the handlebar mount is chocolate teapot (also ordered from somewhere else) but I'm impressed with the light itself
  • First week I got mine the bracket came free from the bike (my fault, I'd just done the bolt up with my fingers :oops: ) and the light hit the road at 25+mph. Still works perfectly so I'm impressed

Bright enough for unlit roads and very well built... I like it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    First week I got mine the bracket came free from the bike (my fault, I'd just done the bolt up with my fingers :oops: ) and the light hit the road at 25+mph. Still works perfectly so I'm impressed

Bright enough for unlit roads and very well built... I like it.
    The light from mine hits the ground at 674,932,500 mph
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Deserves a round of...

4997221200_1be7bafc5c_s.jpg
  • Diablo 2011, not much heavier, expensive but much more powerful,

winstanleys have them @£179.99 due in next week, I've researched a alot of lights including forums and reviews and tested countless ones but the Diablo I think comes out tops for brightness, weight and above all quality.

The joy was great on the road but I lacked confidence on the canal path, the Diablo was a completly different story and I took it out at night down farm paths, brilliant.

Go to the Exposure website and find your local stockist who should be able to lend you one of each to trial.