Suggestions for carrying minimal luggage on a road bike?

rclarke2
rclarke2 Posts: 19
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi all, my first ever post!

I only started cycling with any conviction 3 years ago when I acquired a hybrid MTB for commuting. This year I've just got my first road bike since I was a kid (Trek Madone 4.7) and as my fitness and stamina have increased I have this crazy plan to cycle to my in-laws next summer. This is planned to be a 7 day, 800km trip across much of Switzerland and central France.

I have no intention of camping, I'll be staying in hotels with a freshly made bed each evening, fluffy towels and a selection of perfumed soaps.

That being said, I will need to carry a minimal amount of gear. I'm thinking basic tools & spares, a change of cycle clothes, a waterproof and a couple of sets of t-shirts/shorts for the evenings.

I'd love to know if anyone has any recommendations for carrying a minimal luggage load on a road bike like a Madone? I've looked at Topeak bar bags and their system for clamping a lightweight rack to the seatpost. I would obviously swap out the carbon post for a metal one for the duration of the ride.

Any suggestions / recommendations most welcome.

Cheers, Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
2011 Trek Madone 4.7

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Some kind of seat post mounted rack and a rack bag. This is what I used for a short tour last year on my road bike.

I used one of these and one of these (without using the folding down pannier flaps).
    More problems but still living....
  • I'd recommend a Carradice saddlebag, there's a number of versions. Team one with a handle bar bag (handy for map holder as well) and you'll have enough room for 7 day credit card tour sure enough.

The Carradice bags can be supported by either a support from the saddle rails or small holder on the seat post:-
    http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/other/bagman
    Either are not cheap for what they, but do the job for sure.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've found a Carradice Super-C saddlebag does very nicely for that sort of thing. Get one of their Bagman supports as well - preferably the quick release model so you can get it off and on the bike quickly and easily. The Super-C bag is great. Ample space for cargo - 24 litres - and with the Bagman support it rides well on the bike. The Bagman is pricey for what it is, but having bought one and used it (a good many times now) I found it well worth while. I use this arrangement - often - for just the sort of hotel/B&B touring you describe and it works a treat.
  • +1 for Carradice. I've done this very thing.

The long flap Camper saddle bag is huge and works very well with the SQR bracket.

Carradice is quite expensive but will last a lifetime
    M_G
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    What if he doesn't want to grow a beard and wear sandals though?
    More problems but still living....
  • Can I really get SPD cleats for my sandals ???

Seriously though, thankyou all very much for the suggestions. Some of the Carradice stuff does look rather traditional but for this trip it will be very much a case of function over form. Beside, my Madone is in White, Black and Red, so the Super C will not look out of place.

Does anyone have practical experience of BOTH the saddle rail and the seat post attachments and the pro's and con's of each?

Cheers,

Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7
  • I've done an 800km tour on a road bike with a Carradice Nelson Longflap with SQR attachment. Carried a tent, sleeping bag, towel and sleeping mat + clothes etc. I put a rack on the back, to give extra support even though it was under the suggested 10kg limit. I felt the rack would stop any swinging and give me extra peace of mind (I wouldn't use the rack if I wasn't camping).

Didn't go for the Bagman support cos felt the SQR would be more convinient for my day to day use when I wasn't carrying anything like as much.

I didn't have a separate barbag. I would have done if I could have afforded one, but then I'd probably have just carried stuff I didn't need: like 2 pairs of underwear instead of 1... As it was, I kept my valuables (phone and wallet) in my jersey. And the SQR meant the bag came off the bike when I felt it was risky to leave it.

Can't compare the SQR with the rail attachment, sorry.

As for tools: I took only the usual stuff I take on a day ride (spare tube, multitool etc). If your bike is in good condition then the chances of something major going wrong aren't high enough IMO to carry a multitude of spares. If you're in a populated Western country, your best hope is to stand at the side of the road crying and wait for a friendly passer-by to take you to a bike shop or a train station. The only mechanical issue I remember in the last 12 months for any of my friends whilst riding was the complete failure of a rear-mech, which completely snapped and broke the chain when it did. It was literally unfixable - besides the chain was thrown off and he couldn't find it. You can't carry spares to deal with everything, it's not practical.

You'll love it. Don't carry too much, and you'll love it even more.

Dave
  • I can recommend the Topeak system, I did Bayonne to Caen over 5 days with a mate this summer on our normal road bikes and we had no problems with the handling etc. It's surprisingly aerodynamic as the panniers are behind your legs. We averaged 27kph on the first 2 flat days and then 23. I would only do 80 miles per day next time as we didn't really have any spare time to sightsee. I took a pair of v light convertible trousers and a light Rohan type shirt, mobile/Garmin charger, toothbrush, razor and bum cream and a pair of flip flops strapped on the back. For riding I just had my normal clothes/emergency fixing kit plus a pair of arm warmers and a lightweight rain jacket. Despite the Garmin I still took the relevant maps (Michelin Yellow)
    Every night I washed the bike kit with hotel shampoo! and dried it by laying it on a bath towel, rolling it up and wringing out. It was dry in the morning.
    We stayed mainly in Premier Classe, they have free WiFi so I booked my next hotel using my phone and their app, If I couldn't I texted my wife and she did it for me!
    Great fun, enjoy!
  • I am happy with the carradice SQR saddlebag fitting; I thought it looked a bit unstable but having come down alpine roads at 40 mph I don't think it has any shortcomings. The bag holds about 15 litres. One of the problems is shoes which are usually bulky. I was recommended Jinga shoes which are lighter and take up less space than flip flops. soles are very thin.
    Take a camping washing line which has 2 twisted strands of elastic so that you don't need pegs. You can get a lot of water out of washed clothes by rolling them in a towel and then twisting the towel. My lycra shorts and pad have always been dry by morning. I have a drybag S, that I got At Edinburgh bike shop which I use to carry food when I am unsure about shops or cafe opening. this fits over the top of the carradice SQR bag using the carradice side straps and the loop and cloure fitting of the drybag S
  • did a 'lejog' this june with a carrdice sqr tour-17 ltrs rear bag, and an altura 7 ltr bar bag. hotels and pubs. the sqr mounting screws bit into my carbon seat pin a little-good idea of yours to change to an ally for the trip. the bar bag makes the handling a little odd but after a few miles ok. all rock steady up to 45mph. used my shorter road bike, tight angles/clearances. just took spare tubes, multi tool. 922 miles no probs at all. enjoy yourself! cheers
  • Thankyou all for your great input, I have come to the right place! Seems the balance of opinion favours the Carradice SQR with a Nelson or Camper longflap.

Does anyone have a side profile picture of either of these bags on a road bike using the SQR? Being a Brit living in Switzerland, there is nowhere here that has Carradice bags on display, so I have to order from the UK over the web and be certain that I get it right. I ride a 54cm frame with around 10cm of seat post visible so I want some kind of visual guide that the clearances will be sufficient.

Rob

2007 Price Street Speed
    2011 Trek Madone 4.7