OT: Geek Chat

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
What kind of depraved, sick human runs Linux SLES 10 on Sun Netra x4200 x86 hardware......*facepalm*

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When you say geek you really specify what type of geek operating out of a certain part of geekdom

'Sent from my iPhone'
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    What kind of depraved, sick human runs Linux SLES 10. Get yourself a real operating system man. Use a BSD ;)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I booted my PC into Ubuntu last night for the first time in a few weeks and there were a load of updates ready to install. The MySQL update hung for an hour so I killed it and now it won't boot it up into anything except Windoze. Looks like a wipe & reload tonight, then reinstate everything Penguin flavoured that was there till yesterday.
  • mkirby
    if you can get as far as a boot prompt you can drop to single user and disable mysql? Im not a linux user (i use NetBSD). It would be odd that an update would trash your bootblocks stopping you from getting to linux at all.
  • gtvlusso
    mkirby wrote:
    if you can get as far as a boot prompt you can drop to single user and disable mysql? Im not a linux user (i use NetBSD). It would be odd that an update would trash your bootblocks stopping you from getting to linux at all.

+1 - sounds like grub is fubar. Have you been switching the thing off ungracefully?

Agreed on SLES 10, it's a company thing.......
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I used to have Dragon 32

dragon32acc.jpg

My understanding of computers has been on the decline since then.

I've got a mac at home - it's white, my key board here at work is mainly black.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • CiB
    It hits the login screen but then goes dead - no response to k/b & mouse events, so I can't log in. It just sits there staring at me with the Select User log-in options.
  • mkirby
    By login screen im assuming the graphical screen. Your X server has frozen if you cannot get any keboard or mouse activity.

If you have nothing of importance and dont mind waiting ages for downloads blow it away and reinstall.

The other option is you need to drop into single user via the grub menu i believe, then disable the mysql daemon on startup. Dont know how you do that but i bet theres something on the ubuntu user forums.

Personally id go with your original suggestion unless you want to learn a bit more about how linux works.
  • gtvlusso
    Drop to grub single user mode it and change /etc/inittab to run level 3, disable the mysql......piece of cake!
  • I thought Linux never broke and was practically perfect in every way...
  • gtvlusso
    I thought Linux never broke and was practically perfect in every way...

No no no no...thats Mercedes Benz..

Linux only breaks when you screw about with it....like everything else. Remove the human fiddle factor, half my staff and I go out of a job!
  • CiB
    gtvlusso wrote:

Linux only breaks when you screw about with it....like everything else. Remove the human fiddle factor, half my staff and I go out of a job!
    If I faff about with something and it comes off in my hand I'll admit to it, but in this case I relied on the usually ultra-reliable update utility that manages package updates to d/l & installl the updates. If it kicks off and happily trundles through a good half of them then stops and nothing's changed in over an hour and there's no HDD activity showing, then it's likely that something's gone awry. Only option was to kill it.

There was nothing on there - it's only there as a dual boot so that I can talk Pa-in-law through any probs that he might have on the laptop we gave him, but he never has any problems using it and understanding it. Linux is great like that. If SC Stats wasn't written in ASP using MS VS I'd be even more tempted to dump W7 and go down that path.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    gtvlusso wrote:
    What kind of depraved, sick human runs Linux SLES 10 on Sun Netra x4200 x86 hardware......*facepalm*

who buys Sun x86 stuff anyway?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gtvlusso wrote:

I thought it was Mary Poppins?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    Wot's Alan Shearer go to do wiv it then?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When you say geek you really specify what type of geek operating out of a certain part of geekdom

'Sent from my iPhone'

tsk you can edit that you know

"Sent from my desk"
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    CiB wrote:
    The MySQL update hung for an hour

http://nigel.mcnie.name/blog/mysql-is-a-database

O_o
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Today I am wearing my ROFLCOPTER tshirt...

roflcopter.jpg

Good ol' internet memes!
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/887e/

Also back on the hardware/software side ive currently got a built PC awaiting a blu-ray drive, ubuntu and XBMC to be turned into a home media centre!
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • I thought Linux never broke and was practically perfect in every way...

It is quite common amongst Windows/Mac users to have a completely unrealistic view of the world.

Linux enthusiasts on the other hand know perfectly well no matter how bad you screw a GNU/Linux system up, you are also given the power to fix it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    fnegroni wrote:
    Windows/Mac users

Linux enthusiasts

Nuff said. :wink:

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • You're given the power and the responsibility, but very rarely the knowledge. Bit like politicians. And we know how often they get things right.
  • KERNEL PANIC.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • gtvlusso
    Never seen one in Linux - but have in FTX......f*cking scary on a mission critical system!