Specialized FACT 11m / 8m! Whats the difference?

jnr_seahorse
jnr_seahorse Posts: 50
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Hi,

Specialzied carbon Stumpjumpers list that they are made from FACT 11m for the S-Works through to 8m for the Comp.

What is the difference?
Is it weight? If so how much?
Will it effect the ride feel?

JS

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Very small weight difference, otherwise sod all, it's just their way of saying x frame is better than y frankly, I'd be very impressed if anyone could tell the difference on a blind test.
  • One of the reasons I ask is because the S-Works 11m frame is almost the same price as the complete Stumpjumper comp bike with a 8m frame!

Difficult to justify the cost of the S-Works frame only option if there isn't that much difference and I could sell any unwanted components of the complete bike on eBay?
  • njee20
    Correct, you wouldn't be the first to do it certainly.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    I've got a Fact 10m Enduro and an 8r road bike. There's no visible difference as far as the build and finish of the frames is concerned - they're both beautifully put together frames.
    No doubt the S-Works bikes are a bit stiffer, lighter, etc, but I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you're a pro level XC racer.
  • The whole idea is that the higher grade of carbon, makes the ride that bit better, makes the feel that bit nicer. It is a lot stiffer, but I agree, unless your a pro level XC racer, don't bother with the S-Works. It's designed to race and so makes for an uncompromisingly harsh ride, the front end is also very low.
    It's perfect if you have more money than talent....I speak from experience of several S-Works riders I've met.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • njee20
    The geometry is exactly the same, the front end's no lower on the S-Works.

They're not discernibly stiffer either, I've had 3 S-Works Epics, they're good bikes, certainly not "uncompromisingly harsh".

Considering the current prices I wouldn't buy an S-Works at retail!