To powdercoat or to buy new?

wilo
wilo Posts: 131
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Well I have just got a carrera fury and want to keep the white theme going so do you think I would be better getting my stem and bars powdercoated or should I invest in some new fresh white ones ?
73686969.jpg

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    i'd say leave the bars black to break it up a bit but thats just my opinion.

as for new vs powder coat, how much can you get the powdercoating done for? if its going to be near the price of new bits, then i'd say buy new ones and either sell the old ones to get some money back, or keep them as spares.
  • wilo
    Koiler wrote:
    i'd say leave the bars black to break it up a bit but thats just my opinion.

as for new vs powder coat, how much can you get the powdercoating done for? if its going to be near the price of new bits, then i'd say buy new ones and either sell the old ones to get some money back, or keep them as spares.
    I can get both the bar and stem done for about £10 as I use a local place for a lot of motorbike parts.
  • Wouldn't powdercoating make it hard to get the componentry on without damaging the finish? It's quite thick isn't it?
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • wilo
    kaytronika wrote:
    Wouldn't powdercoating make it hard to get the componentry on without damaging the finish? It's quite thick isn't it?
    That is my concern has anyone had a bars and stem powdercoated?
  • I'd keep them black, the contrast works for me, plus you'll never match the white spot on so it will look odd
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    the powder coating on my frame is quite thick. you may have trouble getting stuff to fit your bars. If you really want them white I'd try a thin coat of paint.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Powdercoat will be fine for the stem... Though you might want to get a shorter one, that one's a beast! but yep, it'll add thickness to the bars, which'll make it harder to fit controls (possibly even impossible) but also you'll probably damage it when you try.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • powdercoating will add thickness which will make control difficult / impossible to put on.
    Never worth it in my humble opinion. Sell the current bar and stem second hand, put that and the tenner saved frm powdercoating towards new bar and stem.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Keep them black or it'll look like Ronan Keatings bike
  • wilo
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Keep them black or it'll look like Ronan Keatings bike
    :lol::lol:
  • just ride them hard for a few months,

There wont be that much paint left after that anyways lol.
  • Either buy white bars or leave them be, you'll have issues with the stem clamp if you get them powdercoated.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I agree with the comments about contrast, if you get practically everything the same colour it'll end up less interesting and weirdly the white will be less noticable. Small areas of high contrast will draw more attention to the white.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    I agree with the comments about contrast, if you get practically everything the same colour it'll end up less interesting and weirdly the white will be less noticable. Small areas of high contrast will draw more attention to the white.

The only exception to this is a completely white bike, that then looks very very white, trust me!