Wheel terminology - clincher and tubs

karlosh Posts: 25
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I have heard the terms clincher and tubs when people have been talking about wheels. Well i assume it was wheels. Can someone put me straight on what these are?
Orbea Marmolada (2009)

Kona Kula (1999)


  • Clinchers are 'conventional' tyres that usually require an inner tube. Tubulars have a fully encased tube are are glued or taped to a specific type of wheelrim.