December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• have you tried the Sun newspaper?
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • if you've been raising money for charities whilst losing weight, have you thought about offering yourself as a case study to their PR departments? They'll have all the contacts, and will be crying out for good stories to help promote their events as ways of doing exactly what you've done....

It might also be worth doing a quick google search for a sample Press Release template and format your story in that style, as journo's might be more receptive to that style?
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Have you tried your local rag? Many are part of syndicates and sell stories "up the line" to the nationals. It may be worth approaching them?

My only worry would be with them taking your story and twisting it. I wouldn't trust a tabloid journalist as far as I could spit him and I'd hate to see such a positive experience ruined by one.

Perhaps directly emailing people at magazines such as Mens Health may be an idea too?

Good luck anyway. I do drop in on your blog from time to time, and have recommended it to others looking at losing some weight.
  • Try this

http://www.talktothepress.co.uk/

It's run by a friend of a friend
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Thanks for the suggestions and link, I will follow them up :D

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Richard Murdoch - 0161 954 9000
  • El Diego wrote:
    Richard Murdoch - 0161 954 9000

ah Dickie .... the old Much Binding days... long gone
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Is the market drayton advertisor any use................
  • the wife has a bit of contact with MEN, Channel M and the like, I'll ask her.

Have you considered the Advertiser, Oldham's can often pick up a story that the Chronicle will chase a couple of days later.

Tameside Council may be happy to lend you their press and PR facilities as a local lad done good for a bit of your time pushing healthy lfestyles for them.
  • Have you tried sleeping with a footballer?*

In all seriousness, my days in this area are long past, but try and wedge in some human-interest aspect - would you have died without the weight loss/operation, leaving poor kiddies fatherless? Did you overcome a deep emotional issue to give yourself the determination? It looks like you kind of have this already, but I'm not getting the sense you're pushing the personal side of it so much from your post. It's like the change from:

I lost 22 stone cycling

to:

Cycling saved my life - how I dodged the operating table and lost 22 stone

*There are such things as female footballers, you know!
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I am sure the news at ten might consider it for the 'and finally' section of the news...
    you can email it to here news@itn.co.uk just mention someone from itn suggested it might be good for an 'and finally' story.
  • Wow, I lost ~10kg since April/may but this guy is something else. Maybe you should contact Boris Johnson directly he likes his bikes and surely he can get you in touch with the Tory tabloids via Andy Coulson.

Unfortanately most of my press contacts are in PC/tech/games journalism (half from Future!) not mainstream media.

Congrats on the weight loss, btw. Nothing like getting in the saddle everyday to trim the fat and get you feeling human again.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.