Knackered freehub / slipping cassette

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited September 2010 in MTB general
I bought a 6 year old Cannondale Bad Boy recently that I'm going to use to give cyclecross a go.

The bike needed a bit of TLC when I got it but I've changed the quite a few bits etc and all seems ok now, except that the cassette seems to be jumping.

When I put power down in what seems like one of the 3 smallest cogs there is slipping. A clunk noise and for a moment their is no drive.

I thougth at first that it was that the cassette lock ring wasn't tight enough. I had previously tightened it to the speciifed torque, but got out the ratchet and tightened far tighter than I'd want to, given that I might need to take the thing off again and its still doing the same.

There is a pin in the cassette that joins all but the bottom 3 cogs together so it makes sense that these are the ones slipping, but I dont think I can physically tighten the lock ring anymore.

I've never had a problem with a freehub before so dont know what the symptoms are or how they really work. Is it possible that a knackered freehub will slip under power, and the gearing effect of the lower gears is what is causing it?

Any advice on how to diagnose / fix it?

Cheers!

Comments

• j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    If its the sprockets slipping then you might be able to replace them and be ok, if the free hub body is damaged allowing them to slip then replace that, but if its a Cannondale one (CODA) then you are going to have to replace the hub as CODA stuff is like rocking horse poo.

but I am a little out of date with these things so might have completely the wrong end of the stick.... :oops:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Did you get a new chain? A new chain will slip on an old cassette, as I found out when I replaced mine.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Ah, yes I did put a new chain on it and left the cassette. In fairness the cassette has probably seen better days.

I'll try the rear wheel off my other bike on it when I get it back from my mates garage.