Master/Power links

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for single speed chain links 1/8 size I think... after my hack job the other day I'm all out. I'm getting a little success searching for master link but only from the US

Anyone know of any uk shops selling these little buggers?

ch409z20blk.jpg
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    On a (kind of) related thread, anyone have a tip on how best to take Sram powerlinks apart? I went with Sram to make chain cleaning easier, but taking the powerlink off once connected has been the devil's own job!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Gussio wrote:
    On a (kind of) related thread, anyone have a tip on how best to take Sram powerlinks apart? I went with Sram to make chain cleaning easier, but taking the powerlink off once connected has been the devil's own job!
    *pricks up ears* Will need this arcane knowledge (hopefully not too) soon. Fitting it was not as easy as advertised...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gussio wrote:

Park Tools Master Link Pliers
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cheers guys... half the problem was I didn't know the name of the damn things
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Can I justify £13.49 to take apart a chain every two months? The tool might also be useful for extracting my fingernails (when Mrs Gussio finds another bike-related package on the doormat...)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I find the knack to undoing them is making sure both the chain and your hands are clean of oil etc. If you can get a decent grip on the little buggers and sqeeze them in the right way (which should be pretty obvious) they come apart without too much hassle.
  • asprilla
    Gussio wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Can I justify £13.49 to take apart a chain every two months? The tool might also be useful for extracting my fingernails (when Mrs Gussio finds another bike-related package on the doormat...)

I've got 4 bikes with them on and I have the chain off at least one of them every weekend, especially in the winter. Besides, tools can always be justified by meaning that I spend less time in the garage at the weekend and spend less on replacement parts that have worn out.......

I also got mine on ebay, so I think I paid less than a tenner.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Gussio wrote:

Have a look on Youtube, that's what I did when I got my first powerlink. Videos on there of the knack.
  • Gussio wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Would a pair of cheaper needlenose pliers not work just as well?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    Gussio wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Would a pair of cheaper needlenose pliers not work just as well?

Tried that first. They are usually the wrong size to really get into the gaps between the links, also with them being straight so they don't grip very well. I'm sure you could manage with them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You need to get the link to a section of chain with no tension, so small/small, or remove it from the chain rings. or hold the pedals still and push the mech forwards.

Then use your other two hands :wink: to squeeze the link together, as if you were trying to make the chain narrower, give it a wiggle, then while still squeezing the link, slide the links in the direction needed to seperate them.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I find Charlie the bike monger good for all things SS/FG related. Not the cheapest, but very good service. If you need something, he'll be able to source it if not in stock.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Its quite ironic, I put a power link thingy on to make the chain easier to remove when cleaning it. but I find it has to be clean to remove it :?

the tips I have are:

1) Make sure power link is clean and grit free
    2) Take tension off the chain
    3) Make sure you squeeze the links
    4) Practice

I can usually get it off with out too much hassle now but its still not as easy as the video guides on you tube etc. ...
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have the following "power link" things

8 speed SRAM
    9 speed SRAM
    10 speed Connex

none of them need any tools to remove but there is a knack to it
    I agree about the clean comments and usually the first step is to spray the link with wd40
    Then grip the chain either side with a bit of rag
    Then bend the chain and push the ends of the chain attached to the powerlink against each other. Sometimes a little squeeze on the middle of the powerlink helps
    The design of the 10 speed Connex link is better

The 1/8th SRAM is a different design and needs brute force and a small screwdriver